Lagering temperatures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBusby

Reaction score
I will shortly be brewing a Czech style lager. I have full temperature control so I was going to ferment at around 12C for a couple of weeks, then raise the temperature for a diacetyl rest for a couple of days, and then cold crash/lager at 1-2C for a while in the FV before bottling. Is that the correct order of events? If so, can I reduce the amount of lagering time in the FV and do most of it in the bottle instead?

Officially, I don't believe so, lagering should be completed in the uncarbonated state. Then it is bottled and undergoes bottle carbonation.

I brew my lager under pressure (usually approx 1 week at 20psi) and after a few days of cold crash, I keg and start drinking as soon as it tastes good, I don't personally follow the rules.

would residual yeast still be viable after 6 or more weeks lagering at cold temperatures? I would think you'd need to prime with more yeast if you were bottle conditioning. Personally I've only done one proper lager, and after lagering (think it was 8 weeks in the end) I just kegged and force carbonated - I was losing the will to live at that point. Turned out nice in the end, but the time&effort vs. result is not worth it IMO, unless you really really really like your lagers. Though I think there is a brulosophy experiment somewhere looking at different lagering times and think it concluded there was little benefit in long lagering times and a couple or few weeks does the trick.

Officially, I don't believe so, lagering should be completed in the uncarbonated state. Then it is bottled and undergoes bottle carbonation.
Didn’t know that, I’ve only did a couple but is this true for when using a corny keg as well as I carbonated mine straight away.

I've made lagers, let them drop bright and bottled them for drinking the following year. They were very OK. But not as good as pilsner urquell.
Now the temperature's down again, I'll make some for next year, but I've recently discovered the so called pseudo lager and I think I like it just as much. More like a very clean-tasting summer ale than a crisp lager, but just as refreshing.
Sorry. Got carried away.
If it hasnt been lagered for around 6 months or so, it's not really lager. Either commercially or home brew.

I like lager but I'm not going to put that much time into it. Just bottled a brew with M54 (just under 2 weeks in the bucket) and if it doesn't turn out too good then I'll try an CIPA or a RIPA. Still haven't seen either in the NI shops to try out.

I have a Czech Pilsner in the FV now fermenting at 15c. I am using W-34/70. Once it's fermented out I will do a D rest at 19C for a couple of days before cold crashing and transfer to keg. I will leave the keg outside for 4-6 weeks before transfer to my kegerator and force carbing.

I find that I savour and appreciate my lagers more because of the time taken to brew.

Latest posts

Back