Lagers, add yeast at 19 and then put in the brew fridge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett74

Regular.
Reaction score
Just got my brew fridge sorted so I can ferment at 12degrees, so after I have cool it down with GF reverse flow chiller it will be at say 18/19 degrees, should I then put it in the fridge until it gets to 12 becore pitching?

I quote from my days as a Health and Safety Manager ...

"Read what it says in the manual and follow it to the letter."​

In this case I suggest that you check what temperature the yeast manufacturer recommends. If the fermenting range is up to or over 18 degrees I would pitch at the warmer temperature, let it start fermentation at that temperature and then either:

A) Let it ferment out at 18 degrees and then syphon it off into a second FV to let it lager at the cooler temperature.

or

B) Move it into the fridge when fermentation has started and then let it ferment out at the lower temperature. (I have never used this method as I always think that it invites the brew to "stick".)

I have never dropped the temperature to 12 degrees and then pitched the yeast at this temperature so I can't really comment.

I did A) with a Coopers Lager back in August and then left it in the fridge for 10 weeks at 10 degrees whilst I was away from home.

It tasted fine yesterday when I bottled it and it is currently carbonating in the fridge at 18 degrees. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back