Last of the fruits - what to do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I've just been picking sloes and got about 700g, probably make it up to a kilo in the week as they're right behind my house. also got a carrier bag full of garden grapes (leaves and some sticks on atm so not loads) and access to some rosehips.

Is there any way I can make this ready to drink in a reasonable amount of time? I hear sloe wine takes some serious ageing but I'd like to speed things up if possible by combining with other ingredients.

cheers! :cheers:

Sloe Gin? Sloe Vodka? In either case take about 500g sloes, washed and destalked and 500g sugar. Prick the sloes all over and put in sterile jar with sugar and 1l of spirit (gin traditional or vodka if you don't like the juniper hit) ..... seal and leave. Shake every day for about 2 months -- should be ready for Xmas!

There is a way to reuse the sloes too..... either make a jam from them (keep for adults!!) or turn in to a port like drink by re-soaking with red wine and cognac and a bit more sugar ...... say about 200g more sugar, the left over sloes, bottle of red wine and 200ml cognac. It will need leaving to mature too but this gives time to get over the sloe gin hangover!!

I normally do a 4:2:1 mix of gin, sloes and sugar for my sloe gin. You get a stronger, less sweet liqueur at the end, which I prefer.

If you have enough sloes, and have a spare jar (or two) it's worth making an extra jar for Christmas next year - the flavour really does improve with an extra year, and will continue to improve the long you leave it.

Sloes can also be made into blackthorn jelly. Use a 3:1 mixture of sloes to crab or cooking apples (don't bother peeling & coring - simply cut into quarters) and add just enough water to cover. Cook until the apples collapse, then strain overnight through a jelly-bag (I use an old pillowcase). The rest is as normal for jelly: measure and add 1Lb sugar per UK pint (1.25 US pints) of liquid, then boil rapidly until setting point is reached.

Alternatively, both fresh and ginned/ported sloes can be made into sloe butter. After straining off the liqueur, put the sloes in a pan with enough water to cover and cook until they turn mushy and the liquid has reduced to about 1 fl. oz. Press through a sieve to remove the stones, then return to the pan and add half its weight in sugar. Boil for three minutes to mix the sugar into the butter, then bottle as for jam or chutney.

The method for making apple butter is essentially the same, except that you add ground cinnamon and cloves, and the apple should caramelise as it thickens.

Latest posts

Back