Latest mashtun manufacturing...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivetide

Reaction score
Can you guess what it is yet?

3022555456_5ea2bffed3_m.jpg

3022554476_7b96960447_m.jpg

A Larch.

Arg, my hovercraft is full of eels!

What a long, long, day this was. The most exciting thing to happen to me since 6am was this parcel, I'll have you know.

i had the very same idea, but couldn't find anything suitable.

hope it works! :thumb:

Hmmm, MightyMouth over at JBK thinks I might be at risk of introducing heavy metal poisoning through the galvanised steel, so I need to look at the ability of running water at 75c to strip the zinc coating before i do anything else, really...

fivetide said:
Hmmm, MightyMouth over at JBK thinks I might be at risk of introducing heavy metal poisoning through the galvanised steel, so I need to look at the ability of running water at 75c to strip the zinc coating before i do anything else, really...

I spotted that.

It's rated to about 200degC so I don't think you'd have a problem with HLT temperatures. I don't know where he got the lead from, AFAIK it's only zinc. Although I'm awaiting the view of someone who knows more than I do.

Modern galavanized steel is lead-free, but there can be residual lead in older products ('tin' baths for example) and older manufactured items with soldered joints. It basically depends on the grade of galvanized steel, so it's a concern worth investigating.

But I'm too damn tired, so I'll think about it another day ;)

I was thinking of using a stainless shower head (not chrome), that I've seen somewhere on internut.

Yup. Could do. You'd have to bore out the holes a little as you wouldn't have the required pressure from an HLT, but it's a good shout.

If its just for sparging FT why not go with a very simple bodge like running the hose from your HLT into a BBQ drip pan or large chinese style metal container with holes poked into it floating on top of the mash?

Its a perfectly good bodge. I have a plastic lid from a 10L mayo tub with a zillion 1.5mm holes in it. I run from HLT into it and maintain 1 inch coverage. Works a treat and cost me thruppence

Latest posts

Back