Lautering in a washing machine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
My friend gave me some old home brewing books - published between the 1950s and the 1980s. Fascinating on many accounts. Also interesting to see how much is still the same in terms of equipment that is sold - Burco boilers, brupaks mashing buckets, king kegs, etc.
In one of the books, they basically did brew in a bag, before that was the fashion, chucking the boiler pot into the oven to maintain the mash temperature.
A new one on me though, they were lautering in a hand crank/spin washing machine! Seems like that would work well.

I told my hubby I wanted to make the 'Cock Ale' recipe while laughing quietly. :twisted: That got a scared look from him :grin:
It does look positively bogging :sick:

A Manchester brewery has just made it for a weird recipe event they are running at the end of the month. Conveniently I have other plans that weekend.

DJGta56XUAAQAFP.jpg

My friend gave me some old home brewing books - published between the 1950s and the 1980s. Fascinating on many accounts. Also interesting to see how much is still the same in terms of equipment that is sold - Burco boilers, brupaks mashing buckets, king kegs, etc.
In one of the books, they basically did brew in a bag, before that was the fashion, chucking the boiler pot into the oven to maintain the mash temperature.
A new one on me though, they were lautering in a hand crank/spin washing machine! Seems like that would work well.

I told my hubby I wanted to make the 'Cock Ale' recipe while laughing quietly. :twisted: That got a scared look from him :grin:
It does look positively bogging :sick:

I did once possess the Ben Turner book "Home Wine Maker and Brewers Calendar" - or something like that. In this is a recipe for "Cock Ale" which involves a chicken carcass, a bottle of white wine and a fairly normal looking beer recipe.

I remember nothing else, except that I never did make it.

I feel that making stock from meat bones and using this for cooking - especially soups and gravies is a long lost art. Sadly, I never have the time these days, what with making AG beer and drinking it. :lol:

In the past, I would have definitely recommended chicken stock for cooking and adding a late country addition of a well matured and slightly **** tasting country wine to a beer for an experiment.

Never, would I have recommended adding the two together outside of a sauce for a Sunday roast.

To modern eyes, a chicken stock addition might look very strange,

Latest posts

Back