Leon103's brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a reading tonight and it's down to 1.012 after 12 days and done so just above 6%abv. Dried hop with 45g of simcoe until the weekend at 14c. The hop bag slipped out of my hand and sank to the bloody bottom.

Just seen your rosemary/simcoe recipe Leon, looks v. interesting. May give it a try. Good luck with it.

Been a bit busy the last couple of days so haven't had a chance to report on Saturdays Black IPA brew day.

Here is the recipe. I may do a little hop tea with citra and cascade.

8fZ8ui7.png

Good brewday not major issues, had a little boil over at the beginning of the boil, but had a bit extra wort from the dunk sparge to top back up.

Previously I have been hitting 70% efficiency but for a second brew in a row I overshot that target getting 80% on this brew. I have changed supplier and now using geterbrewed and their minch malt which maybe the factor. The result - a much stronger brew than planned.

After pulling my yeast starters out of the fridge in the morning they started to ferment again so I wasn't able to drain off much of the wort without losing yeast so I went over my 23l target. The yeast made a very quick start which is nice to see. This is sitting in my brew fridge at 19.5c. My whole garage smells of citrus fruit.

Here are a couple of photos of grain bill, first hops - which are a year or two old so lost some alpha's.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

Looks great. I'll be happy to do a bottle swap in the new year for my recent BIPA if you're up for it.

Yeah. Once it's ready I will be more than happy to swap

Good! I ended up splitting it into four 5L batches and dry-hopping them four ways:
Herb: 20g Zeus, 10g Chinook, 10g Simcoe
Pine: 25g Simcoe, 15g Chinook
Citrus1: 20g Citra, 20g Ahtanum
Citrus2: 20g Centennial, 20g Amarillo

I had a cheeky test and the Zeus one is a bit odd, but the others are good, especially the Citra and Ahtanum.

Kit all washed ready for tomorrow's brewday, can't believe its been nearly two months.

Change around in schedule due to yeast dates.

Brewing a English IPA, more or less based on GH's version.

Using the Fermentum yeast, Heathery Heights from @geterbrewed which is their version of Thames Valley 1275.

I split the vial into two 1l starters, both went off like a rocket. I plan to add one to another starter tonight which will be used tomorrow and the other will be left to ferment out and put back in vials for a porter.

Eipa.png

Kit all washed ready for tomorrow's brewday, can't believe its been nearly two months.

Change around in schedule due to yeast dates.

Brewing a English IPA, more or less based on GH's version.

Using the Fermentum yeast, Heathery Heights from @geterbrewed which is their version of Thames Valley 1275.

I split the vial into two 1l starters, both went off like a rocket. I plan to add one to another starter tonight which will be used tomorrow and the other will be left to ferment out and put back in vials for a porter.

You'll deffo have to report back on the heathery heights. :thumb:

I like the look of your reciepe. I'm making a Bitter next week which isnt a million miles away from your English IPA reciepe and will be using the Fullers strain for the first time

You'll deffo have to report back on the heathery heights. :thumb:

I like the look of your reciepe. I'm making a Bitter next week which isnt a million miles away from your English IPA reciepe and will be using the Fullers strain for the first time

Its mostly the recipe from Greg Hughes' book to be fair.

SO far the yeast looks good. Kicked off really quickly and its got a huge white krausen on it. Nice smell going from it, slightly fruity. I will be doing a full report for geterbrewed seeing they gave it (and other yeasts) for free.

Peco boiler. Minutes after posting it all kicked off, massive boil. Outside temperature is really cold so I put it down to that. It go going once wrapped in a towel. Next time I will keep my sleeping bag around it. Or get another element

Back