Letter to Wadworths Brewery ANY Suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

State of the mind

Reaction score
Hey there, I have been meaning to send Wadworths a letter for quite a while now, however have put it off due to being nervous. :wha: :wha:

If some of you could proof read this and make some suggestions it would be nice. :hmm: :hmm:

Hello I am 16 years old and attend Hardenhuish school in Chippenham. I have been brewing since September 2009, however have only been brewing All-Grain since October 2009. I am extremely passionate about my brewing and find it an extremely fascinating and rewarding hobby. As a result I have been thinking about a possible career prospect. Apparently you have good connection with Hardenhuish for work experience and I have already been in contact with my chemistry teacher about work experience at Wadworths next year. However, I would like to know if I would be able to come to Wadworths for work experience this summer without the schools support.
In the eight months I have been brewing All-Grain, I have made five batches of All-Grain beer in varying styles, to differing standards. This has allowed me to learn about different beer styles and the different brewing techniques that are employed to develop the; body, mouth feel, bitterness ect that suites a specific style of beer. I have also adventured to brewing with adjuncts in two of my batches of beer. The first batch of beer with adjuncts that I brewed was a Weizenbier, a beer brewed with high proportions of wheat malt and fermented with a Barvian wheat yeast. The second being a Pilsener, which required maize in the recipe. This required a more diastatically powerful malt, so I used six row malt as opposed to two row malt.
Recently in my brewing I have been more experimental and currently have a batch of a Leffe Blonde Clone fermenting. I decided to brew a clone of Leffe Blonde because I want to understand to a greater standard the effects of different malts, hops, mashing techniques have on the taste profile of the beer you are brewing. By brewing a clone, I will be able to compare my clone to the actual Leffe Blonde beer and attempt to note the differences and include different ingredients and techniques next time.
In future batches of beer I am going to try and brew without recipes and attempt to create a unique recipe of beer. From the results of the batch, I will brew it again and improve the flavour. I think this will help me more than brewing a new style every batch as it replicates what is done in the brewing industry when creating a new beer.
When I started my brewing, I was only brewing to make beer due to it being difficuilt to attain beer at 15 years of age. However as I became more passionate about my hobby, I found myself giving beer away to friends and family just so that I could brew my next batch of beer. Nowadays, drinking home-brewed beer is a very small part of the hobby, after having drank a few pints of a batch I am already thinking about how to improve the recipe and when I can brew again. Also as I have found my taste for beer has vastly improved and I have found myself able to identify some of the different hops and malt that have been used to brew that beer.
I have also been thinking about the possible routes of education that will lead to a job in the brewing industry. I have chosen my A-Level options with brewing in mind, I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. I have been looking into Nottingham university as they have a post-graduate Brewing Science degree on offer.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/brewingscience/
I am not sure if this is the best route to take to get into the industry, so if you have any suggestions of other education routes, they will be greatly appreciated.
Also, respecting work experience this summer, if you could shed some information about whether it is realistic or not that would also be greatly appreciated.

I would change the second sentence to “I have been brewing since September 2009 and have been brewing All-Grain since October 2009” and “Bavarian” is mis-spelt in paragraph 2.

Other than that, I think you have constructed an excellent letter there, and I would certainly think they ought to respond favourably.

"School" not "school" when its the schools name.

"suits" not "suites", I think.

"drunk" not "drank"

"adventured to" might be better as "ventured into"

An excellent letter though, very well constructed and showing a significant understanding of brewing and its terminology (from my laymans viewpoint).

Agreed with Samarith, I only had chance for a quick skim through before.

You've also got an ect instead of an etc.

I wish I had the chance of going into brewing when I left school.
I wish you all the best, I hope you get in for your work placement :thumb:

Latest posts

Back