liquid yeast past use by date...is it dead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As thread really. Its a White Labs Belgian Ale Yeast WLP550 for a Belgian Trippel I'm doing at the weekend. The best by date is 20th April 202. I've just pitched it into a 1ltr starter so will see how it goes but do people have much experience and success in using liquid yeasts pas their best before date? Have a stand by recipe just in case so will see how she goes over the next 24hrs. Thanks.

You'll be fine in all likelihood. Yeast is very resilient if stored properly and you're doing the right thing by making a starter. I've used liquid yeasts that have been in the fridge for 6 months to a year without an issue.

My only observation (and I only say this to be helpful) is that a 1L starter of yeast of medium viability is likely to lead to a significant underpitch for a Tripel. A 2.5L - 3L starter is nearer the mark assuming you're making an 8-9% beer.

ok, thanks. Do I just increase the volume of wort then? I got the AG recipe kit from Malt Miller and it only came with one sachet of yeast for a 19ltr batch. I could rustle up another 1itre to 1.5ltrs of DME wort and add it to the flask?

No problem just increasing the volume of wort. The yeast will reproduce to suit the total volume. If your flask is big enough, I would boil up some more DME, cool it to room temp and pour it in if you can.

Back