Liquorice Root ups have I spoilt the beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmark

Regular.
Reaction score
Last bitter kit before Christmas started at s.g. 1.048 at 1.010 transferred as normal to clean fermentor for another few days to reduce sentiment in each bottle. Found an old bit of liquorice root and thought it would add to beer taste so dropped into fermenter oh what a reaction. It really frothed up forcing beer into the air lock and for next three days activity was greater than when it first started. Took small sample and tastes OK and s.g. has dropped all the froth has gone but still bubbling away had I not dropped in the root by now would be ready to bottle.

So have I messed things up?

If it tastes and smells ok then I think you are ok. That's the best indicator that things haven't gone wrong. I'd recommend that next tiime you add things like that to soak it overnight in a 40ABV spirit like rum or whisky (in order to reduce the likelihood of introducting contaminants).

I would wait another day or two and then bottle/keg it :thumb:

Doesn't sound like it - it sounds like the brew liked the liquorice root and the yeast had a field day on it. If it has now quietened down now but still working then just leave it under the airlock until the bubbling has apparently stopped and you can take an sg reading.

There's no hurry to bottle, it can stay under an airlock for a couple of weeks even, during this time the yeast will be clearing up after itself and when you go to bottle you will find that the brew is nice and clear. Just follow the 3 day rule when the sg should remain they same over 3 days this is taken to indicate that the brew has stopped working.

youve been lucky if you dont have an infection imho, id never add liqourice root to an fv unless in tincture form, its simply not worth the risk. if i use it its in the last few minutes of the boil

If its at 1.008 then its close to finishing. Keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and if sg hasn't gone down over that period then it has finished and could be bottled or left in the FV under airlock to let the yeast complete its tidy up activity for another couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back