Lots of Lovely Beers to try

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru4u

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's like a second christmas
DSCF0164.jpg

What we got is
Youngs: Double Chocolate Stout
Whitewater brewery: Belfast Lager, Belfast Stout, Belfast Ale
The Porterhouse Brewing Co: Hop Head, Plain Porter
Batemans: Victory Ale, Combined Harvest

I tried this Last night
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout :thumb:

DSCF0166.jpg

I could hardly seperate Mrs Bru from it, and she only drinks very pale waterbeer ***** and is not a fan of stout, so I says it all really, very smooth well balanced, the chocolate really shines through, I will make this so it gets thumbs up from me. There is plenty of body from the oats with out being over complex or sickly. Fuggles and Goldings Hops, my two favoutite nobel hops. I was expecting very sweet but not at all.

As I go through the rest I'll post the pic's

Next up will be the
The Porterhouse Hop Head

DSCF0170.jpg

I'll let ye know later

I was expecting more like US style Hoppy beer,it is clean and crisp, citrus and nice aroma, flavour faded quickly and it could do with a higher ABV at just 5%, hops are pilgram, nuggett, cascade and centennial, Malts, Pale, crystal,wheat and black.
I love hops and was excited about this but let down, nice beer for girls, but no hop bomb

Next Up;
The Porter House Brewing Co
Plain Porter

Hops; Galena,Nugget, EKG
Grain: Pale, Flaked Barley, Roast, Black & Crystal
ABV 4.7%

DSCF0169.jpg

Lots of roasty character and heaps of aroma, this is nice, I presume a modern take on a classic style but it works well. No aftertaste of bitterness or maltyness as expected, your left with a clean refreshing sensation with a roasty finish, verdict :thumb: I'd buy again.

Bru

Brew Dog
The Physics

This was not one of the original line up but got given it today :D

Brewdogthephysics.jpg

Bloody Gorgeous, lovely amber beer with strong malty flavours from crystal and caramalt, massive aroma and hop flavour from the first gold, there must be tonnes of late hops, nice and fruity, the head which was small faded quickly, however I found this beer almost perfectly balanced, I could not stop sipping, I did not want to gulp, I had to restrain myself as it would be gone too quickly. What ever them lads up in Scotland are doing, don't stop.
Verdict :thumb: Buy all round you
Bru

:cry: it's nearly gone

Betemans
Victory Ale

DSCF0168.jpg

Quite sweet with little hops showing through, plenty of toffee, balanced more in favour of the malty side, nothing special to be honest, I could think of better beers to celebrate Nelson, there is not much to say about this, easy to drink but I probably won't do it again, I'd go for more excitment, have not a bog what hops are used coz you can't taste them. :(

Next Up;
Schneider & Brooklyner
Hefe-Weizen Ale

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, been looking forward to this all week. Another that was given to me.

SchniderWeisse.jpg

The result of 2 great brewers getting together, Hans-Peter Drexler from Schneider and Garrett Oliver from the Brooklyn Brewery, Mountains of trad German hops, hallertauer, and definately dry hopped, with american versions amarillo and palisade I belive. Orange colour with banana and clove notes with some citrus, quite bitter for the style but by no means over powering and finishes clean and hoppy. Made my day, verdict big :thumb: it's 8.2% but you can't tell it. Buy it as a treat if you see it, I love it. I'm tasting these as the first beer of the night so a; they all get the same chance and b; I'm not half peasted (Irish for drunk, pronounced peash-ted) I think I'll see what Belfast has to offer next
Bru

Whitewater Brewery
Belfast Black

DSCF0171.jpg

High carbonation on opening, I'm not a fan of over carbonated stout, that aside the flavour is pleasant, there is quite a lot of bitterness there but more astringent, from the grain bill which includes roasted, rolled oats, chocolate and black malt. I would have thought the oats would have added more body but it seems a bit thin, The coffee notes are lovely and there is some spicyness from the hops, I cant put my finger on them however. This is an everyday drinking stout, which I'd love to do. I feel this may be a different drink entirely from draft. Verdict :thumb: I'd buy it again, you know the way when SWMBO and your self are in town during the day and you just want to sit down and have a nice quiet pint, I could see myself enjoying a Belfast Black. If it were sold in more places here, Ireland is like a craft beer desert :cry:

I`m really enjoying this post :D makes me want to go shopping for loads of different ales!!

:drink: keep suppin ;)

I''ve only 3 left, what I'd like if others joined in, just a pic and your thoughts on that beer so each post is another beer :thumb:
I'll finish my last three this week, and then someone else do the same.
Bru (no beer tonight for me)

Whitewater Brewery
Belfast Lager

DSCF0173.jpg

Going by the Belfast Stout I had a good feeling about this, Medium to high carbonation, mine has a haze and it's been in the fridge for a week, bottle conditioned, there is some mighty hop aroma from this, Sazz all the way, more than expected for a continental style,(but it works) I presume the style is Munich Helles,(ie. pale version of a Dunkel but less hops than a Pilsner) but with more hops, very crisp and refreshing, there is a beautifull long lasting hoppy aftertaste, to remind you that you are drinking premium. This would make a great summer thirst quencher or summer session beer as it's just 4.5%, this means you can drink it all night and enjoy it as opposed to a 7-8% beer where you can only enjoy one or two but can't drink it all night, well I can't anyhow. Verdict Big :thumb: . I can see me enjoying this again at a summer BBQ or summot, very good indeed, how do they get that long lasting profile :wha:
Bru

Batemans
Combined Harvest

DSCF0167.jpg

Errrrmmm, the colour is nice........ I could not get any aroma, very malty sweetness, as you'd expect multigrain with Barley, Oats, Wheat and Rye, 4.7%, leaves a very sweet after taste, needs more bittering to get it right, I'm not sure I can be arsed finishing it. Verdict; 'puter says no. Pity as I thought it might be an interesting beer, you'd easily make better yourself.

Last one tomorrow, Belfast Ale
Bru

Just popped to the local offy to get some milk for the kiddies and something caught my eye on the shelf. It was a bottle of the chocolate stout that I'd seen in this post only this morning - with your glowing recommendation.

I grabbed one quick and thought 'the kids can have water on their cornflakes tomorrow morning'.

Only kidding .. but I did grab a bottle which is in the kitchen at the moment coming up to room temp. Missus is out this evening so I'm looking forward to a bit of piece and quiet and a nice pint!

Whitewater Brewery
Belfast Ale

DSCF0172.jpg

A real winter warmer this one, lovely rich malt and caramel flavours, sweet but only for a nanosecond untill the hops kick in, nice floral aroma backed up by a solid but rounded bitterness. This is a rich kind of oily texture (in a good way) smooth beer there is some torified wheat in the goods bill. A deep red colour, that will be the roasted barley.
They say there are three different hops,
fuggles is in there somwhere, probably the late hops, not sure about the others but a guess I'd say English. Verdict what else could it be. Big :thumb: . I can see this brewery going from strength to strength, all the products I've tasted from them are winners.

edited; I put cascade in but i meant to say fuggles, at least thats what I think they are

Latest posts

Back