Mad Goose Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any comments on this. It is a clone from a Purity Beer http://www.puritybrewing.com/mad-goose.cfm, which calls for Hallertauer bittering hops. I do have some Hallertauer Hersbrucker at 3% AA, but have only used them as aroma hops previously.

I do really like the beer both draught and bottle so I would like to get somewhere close, any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

Mad Goose (Blonde Ale)

Brew length 23L
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Colour (SRM): 3.8 (EBC): 7.4
Bitterness (IBU): 36.0 (Average)

4003g; 92% Maris Otter Malt
218g; 5% Caragold
131g; 3% Wheat Malt

75g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
15g Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
15g Willamette (7.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
10g Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Aroma)
10g Willamette (7.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Aroma)

3g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Brewlab F40 Scottish & Newcastle

Notes: Aroma hops steeped 20 mins at 80C

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I'm now thinking of just using the Willamette at 10mins and the Cascade post boil to still be around 35EBU. However as I've not used these hops before I would still be interested in hearing anyone's comments. :cheers:

I ended up doing this yesterday kept the malt as above and changed the hops to;

55g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.0% AA) 90 mins
25g Willamette (4.8% AA) 15 mins
15g Cascade (5.9% AA) 10mins
20g Cascade (5.9% AA) 20mins post boil at 80C

to give 27.4 IBU.

Tasted good in the FV and is now bubbling away with US-05 :cheers:

Ed,
How did this one turn out? I'm looking to brew an ale like this, and love Mad Goose.

I've got some hallertauer, but don't have any willamette or cascade at the moment. I've got some FirstGold, so will try substituting those.

Turned out great SP, a bit more body than the brewery version. I've done this now for 3 brews; the 2nd I reduced the malt a bit, reduced the Hallertauer a bit and increased the Cascade and Willamette, still nice but a bit thin and the Willamette took over too much; the 3rd, I still reduced the malt but went back to a similar hop schedule to above but increased the Cascade aroma hops, which came out pretty close to the brewery. The next one will add back a bit of body as I prefer that but with the following hops Hallertauer FWH 16 IBU, Willamette 15mins 6 IBU, Cascade 10mins 6 IBU, to give total 28 IBU, plus 35g Cascade 20min steep at 80C.

The thing is to have some Willamette but keep it in the background; but I like this brew because you can drink it straight away - tastes great :thumb:

If you like this brew I'd get the right hops, but if not you'll be sure to come up with a good one with First Gold. Good luck :cheers:

I had a go at trying this clone, but basically had none of the right ingredients. So I brewed a similar style of ale, with the similar gravity, colour & IBUS.

I've called it Gabba Goose.

The base malt was 50% marris otter, 50% lager malt (for some reason I'd run out of MO - whats up with that?!)
I didn't have any Caragold, so I used a 50/50 blend of vienna malt and Carahell in its place.

I then went for the same IBUs as your recipe, following the hop schedule, but used first gold as my bittering hop, and a combo of first gold & styrian goldings for the aroma and flame out hops.

So basically I wanted to brew a Mad Goose clone but failed completely!!
Hopefully it will still turn out nicely.

:cheers:

Hey guys,

Im shooting for a similar brew usign north down instead of the Hallertauer Hersbrucker and fuggles in the place of the willamette..

will see howit goes and post my findings :)

Cheers for the guide recipe!

-lonewolf

The Purity website says Pilgrim for bittering and 48 IBU. It confirms Maris Otter, Caragold and Wheat malt.
Anyone got anything to add?
I do enjoy a pint of Mad Goose and fancy having a go at brewing something close.

Back