Malt extract powders went hard

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinm

Reaction score
Hiya Brewers,
I bought some 500g packets of Freeze dried Malt Extracts to use in brewing some kits. Unfortunately I didn't get to use them and they have been in a cupboard for 12 months.
I got them out today and the packaging is fully intact but the contents have gone solid like a brick.
They are all still within the use by date but not sure whether i can still use them. Any advice?
cheers,
Kevin.

Hiya Brewers,
I bought some 500g packets of Freeze dried Malt Extracts to use in brewing some kits. Unfortunately I didn't get to use them and they have been in a cupboard for 12 months.
I got them out today and the packaging is fully intact but the contents have gone solid like a brick.
They are all still within the use by date but not sure whether i can still use them. Any advice?
cheers,
Kevin.
How may packets have you got?!
What about having a go at breaking up the solid lump of one packet within the packet, perhaps within a clean polythene bag or two, (not on the worktop or it will go everywhere!), and then emptying out into a pan of hot water, and then simmer with continuous stirring until it has mostly dissolved. I would not boil. Then use as you would normally do.
If you have enough packets to make up a brew (even at small volumes) you could do what I suggested on each packet and use a hop tea of goldings or whatever you fancy to make your brew.

Thanks Fellas,
I have 4 packets,
I think I will go ahead and use it.
cheers,
kevin

Would be a good idea to steep some grains and boil the liquid, chuck some hops in, this would freshen up the flavour and not a lot of work.

hiya clibit,
Thanks for the advice.
I have some Muntons wort (kit) for yorkshire bitter, some medium toast grains n hops too. I will break the malt extract into small pieces to insure it dissolves properly and use some with sugar for primary and then on its own for secondary.
cheers,
kevin

Latest posts

Back