Malt producers/brand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Evening all

After brewing kits/extract and then just AG pale ales I'm going to start different styles. My question is about the different brands of grains.

After searching The Malt Miller there are a number of suppliers/brands. Is there a noticeable difference for the same malt with different suppliers? For example Crisp sell Maris Otter for for £1.60 a kilo but Thomas Fawcett for £2.20. So the question is - Is the Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter 40%ish better quality than Crisp (as the price suggests). Obviously this translates to different types of grains.

Basically is more expensive better quality?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I've used only Crisp's for several years and always had very good results but a while back I thought I would try something different so the last 4 sacks I have bought have been Simpsons. My efficiency went from around 75% to about 80% there was more aroma in malt forward beers but hard to say if any great flavour difference. Just started a sack of Fawcetts golden promise again a higher efficiency but not drank any yet. Over the years I have tried most of the maltsters and I think any difference is small. Probably more significant is how well it has been stored once it has left the maltster which is one reason I always buy from the malt miller.

Latest posts

Back