Mangrove Jack M20 (Bavarian Wheat), what temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoon

Regular.
Reaction score
A few reviews of this say:

"tastes of nothing but Banana" - Cletus, Florida Swamps

"Tastes of nothing but cloves" - Scott, Antarctic

Anyone brewed with it, or other wheat beer yeasts?

Recipe plan for anyone interested:

Mash for 20l of 60/40 wheat/barley malt with an OG of about 1038.

Bring to the boil

5l poured hot (to make sure it's sanitary) into a carboy and airlocked with vodka (to keep it that way).

The rest hopped and boiled as normal

15l cooled and into the fermenter and pitch the yeast

Wait 24h,

Pitch 1 yakult into the carboy, wait 24h.

Harvest the krauzen (48h, so should be peaking) from the main batch, and a bottle of wort from the top, hopefully enough yeast to pitch straight into the 5l carboy without a starter.

Boil the 5l sour wort again and hop as usual, cool and pitch the harvested yeast.

Split the 15l into 3 carboys with raspberry, blackberry and one left as a heffeweizen.

1 brewday, 4 beers, and hopeful all ready in time for a BBQ in a fortnight!

I haven't used this yeast yet. I've got my eye on it to do Clibits Black sabbath stout wth. I've done a bit of reading on this yeast style and if you want cloves you brew cooler if you want banana you you brew warmer. The temp range for this strain is 18C-30C so dependng on what your going for loads of cloves, loads of banana or something in the middle, I'd aim at fermenting temps with this in mind. I plan on brewing cool as Black Sabbath uses the cloveyness of a weizen strain rather than the banana-iness.

Probably at the clove end as there'll be plenty of fruit going into the secondaries, but I'd like at least some fruityness for the heffeweizen, I might set the fridge for 20C, bit warmer than I'd use for ales, but some of the stuff online says if ferments vigorously enough to add a good 3C anyway so don't want to go too warm.

Well it's in, transferred the wort from the kettle into the (empty) HLT before chilling to see if I could get a decent whirlpool/cold break and left it at about 35C. Whirlpool worked but the temp didn't drop so the yeast got pitched a little warm, but still under 30 so should be fine (fingered crossed).

5kg of grain, 25l of wort at 1.048, 81% mash efficiency, 75% brewhouse efficiency. 2 problems:
1) The Perle hops were only 3.9, not the usual 8%, guess that was last years poor harvest, not the end of the world as it's only for bittering, used double but any aroma/flavour should be long gone even if it's doubled.
2) the tap of my FV is pissing beer into the bottom of the fridge :( hopefully there'll be enough left by the morning and I can pop out and buy a new one!

I can confirm that at 20C, and about 4 days in primary and 2 in secondary (patience isn't my strong point) I'm getting bananas, an absolute boatload of bananas.

It's not unpleasant, but I was hoping for a bit more balance, maybe it'll mellow out over the next few days/weeks.

I found it turned into a banana bomb towards 23/24c. Better balance at 20c for me.

It was a bit warmer when I pitched it (maybe even around 30), but there was no sign of fermentation for 36 hours so I think I got away with it, maybe I didn't.

Also my version of bananas might be more subtle than others tastes, I was trying to avoid the flavour being too strong as the OH can't stand them. There's definitely other flavours in there but not any that I can put my finger on (and not the dry/spicy/warming cloves) mostly fruit (peaches maybe?)

Latest posts

Back