Mangrove jacks M41 v. SafBrew T-58

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twopan

Reaction score
Reposting this as not sure I put it I the right place. I use these yeasts in my Belgian beer clones. Habitually M41 for a Brugse Zot blond and T-58 for a Leffe blond Clone, simply because Malt Miller ship the T-58 as part of that standard all grain kit. I find the M41 has good esters and very good attenuation - the gravity drops remarkably low and produces a dry finish which I like. The T-58 is very similar. However, I have noticed that the M41 is less violent in initial fermentation, whereas the T -58 goes off like a rocket and blows out through the airlock. Does anyone recommend either of these over the other for Belgian blond ales, or something else entirely? Thanks.

You also have the M31 Belgian Tripel and M47 Belgian Abbey yeast. Then there are also Bulldog Trappix, Fermentis Abbaye and Lallemand BE-256. I have used them all. I actually like the T-58 the least. But that could be because I didn't brew a blond ale with it, only some dark beers.

The best Leffe blond clone I ever brewed was with MJ M20 Bavarian wheat yeast. It needs some time and work though. First let it ferment out, then move it to a secondary vessel and put it in a cool place so that as much yeast as possible can drop out (I brewed in winter, or maybe you have a fermentation fridge), so that at bottling time the beer is real clear, more like a kristalweizen actually. I had the experience of tasting fresh Leffe at the beverage shop, and my beer tasted the same.

I've tried most of those and a few liquid options, but never with enough consistency across recipes to be able to make any great observations. They all made nice beers and I like BE-256. So, I think I'm heading to using BE-256 with T-58 when I want some phenolics. I think it's great to try different ones, but if you've already found ones you like there may be as much mileage in learning how they behave with different worts and fermentations.

Back