Marmite as a wine additive, is that a thing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_M

Reaction score
My mother in law used to make wine many moons ago and has decided to have a dabble. She has been given a recipe that includes a teaspoon of marmite in the demijohn at the start of fermentation. Is marmite in wine an actual thing that wine makers do?

As much as I love marmite. I cannot see it as having a place in brewing / wine making!

Love to hear how this goes!

As much as I love marmite. I cannot see it as having a place in brewing / wine making!

That's what I've heard/read before.
Along with tomato puree, two of the most likely stopgap wine nutrients you may have in your cupboard. Then again in this day and age as they could be more likely to be in your cupboard, just crush up a couple of multi vitamin pills and pop them in.

As members havs said it can be used as nutrient but a pot of nutrient costs little lasts ages and if you don't want to buy it get some youngs super wine yeast compound as it is both yeast and nutrient.

As members havs said it can be used as nutrient but a pot of nutrient costs little lasts ages and if you don't want to buy it get some youngs super wine yeast compound as it is both yeast and nutrient.
I think I will advise her to go with the Youngs super wine yeast compound. I do like Marmite but wine tasting of it doesn't sound like a winner to me.

I think I will advise her to go with the Youngs super wine yeast compound. I do like Marmite but wine tasting of it doesn't sound like a winner to me.
You'll never taste it with the dilution factor and the yeast munching on it as well as using it for authenticity...

Think I'll get a gallon of Marmite wine on this weekend.
1kg sugar
1 large jar of Marmite.
3l apple juice
Orange and lemon peel, cinnamon, cloves.
That should get rid of the unwanted guests this Christmas.

Latest posts

Back