Marrow Rum - second fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleinfrontofme

Reaction score
Evening all,

First timer here, got some marrow rum that's been on the brew for 2 years. Looking and smelling nice. Question, can I filter, re bottle in demijohn, add more yeast and airlock and continue? Or should I just leave it as is? Should I put another Camden tablet in, or will that kill the alcohol? Should I just repeat the process with yeast or leave it as is and bottle/drink?

Thanks James

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_120051102.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230918_120051102.MP.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 7
Camden tab won't kill the alcohol, but will stop yeast (and any other microbes).
You often see it added to wine 24 hours before you add the wine yeast to kill off any natural yeasts or other nasties.
Then it's added again when you rack it, partly to stop further fermentation & also to stop accidental contamination when transferring it.

Also wine yeast can only make up to around 14% alcohol, with some high tolerance varieties claiming to get as high as 18%. So if it's that strong already, you won't be able to increase strength by adding more sugar.

You might as well bottle it now if it smells good.

Thanks jof.

Is racking just bottling it? Putting it on a rack I guess. Well it's had two years, so maybe now's a good time. They say 5 years. So when bottling, I add a Camden tablet to each bottle and the seal and leave? Do I need to add a Camden tablet when bottling? 🙏🏼 thanks

Racking is moving it off the sediment to another demijohn, but after a couple of years that probably doesn't need doing. Just bottle it.

Don't add Camden tab. Just make sure all bottles & equipment are sterilised/sanitized and don't disturb the sediment

Latest posts

Back