Mash out then overnight

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
To the much more experienced and knowledgeable homebrewers out there.

In an attempt to save a bit of time on Saturday brew days, what I've been doing recently is on a Friday night I've been getting up to the stage in the brewing process where I've mashed out (biab), sparged (I know it's not needed for biab however I find I get 5-10% extra efficiency and I can make bigger batches in my 30L kettle) and heated the wort to 80C. I then leave this mash free wort overnight until Saturday and start at the boiling phase.

I haven't yet noticed any problems in the two batches I've done however one was a Belgian so probably wouldn't notice any funk.

Can any of you foresee any problems with with process?

I was previously overnight mashing holding the wort above 60C for the duration however I felt the extra step of removing the grain wasn't taking too much time and would make the Saturday much cleaner. Also I wanted to remove the possibility of souring with lactobacillus.

Thanks

I have done this many times and keep the heat in by turning off the heat and wrapping the boiler/AIO.
There is no problem as long as you do not let the temperature drop below 50c approx as you can then get a cheesy funky smell which is Lactobillus I think and the wort is not recoverable

Hi, is this even if you have removed the grain? What if you bring it to the boil then cover it. Will that remove all possiblity of lactobacillus souring?

Thanks
I have done this many times and keep the heat in by turning off the heat and wrapping the boiler/AIO.
There is no problem as long as you do not let the temperature drop below 50c approx as you can then get a cheesy funky smell which is Lactobillus I think and the wort is not recoverable

I often mash overnight. I set the mash and don't mash out. I sparge the cool mash with hot water in the morning and continue as normal. Sometimes, on taking the lid off the mash tun, there's a bit of a whiff from the resident flora, which disappears as soon as the sparge starts. Never had excess acidity and never had any off flavours.
Give it a go just once to see if its suits you. It'll save you even more time.
Considering lactic acid formation is encouraged in the making and use of acidulated malt, its hardly surprising that a little bit doesn't harm your beer.

Never had that, Baron, and I think my wort is less than 50 in the morning. Perhaps leaving it for more than about 10-12 hours produces off flavours.

Yes had it once AA, it is something to do with the temperature at which Lactobacillus grows. I did read up on it at the time I think it was low 40's when it can happen.
It was like a cheesy smell to the mash and even when sparged it was still there(hoped it would go) but it didn't even after boiling so put that down to experience :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back