Massive cider explosion please help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamboozle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time poster here. Hopefully here to learn a few recipes and techniques to get better. I've made a few batches of cider before and not come out bad at all but I had a disaster the other day.

I was fermenting a 1.5 ltr bottle in the spare room and suddenly heard a massive explosion, like a bomb going off. The cider had exploded everywhere - all over the curtains, walls, mattress, tables, carpet and really bad on the ceiling.

I'm cleaning up, it is rented accommodation and I do not want to get charged for a repaint or fumigation.

I used baking soda on the stains on the walls and ceiling (ceiling was really tough work to clean) but it's looking a bit better. I got a carpet stain and odour remover on the mattress and carpets and I used dettol on the tables etc. I haven't cleaned the curtains or netting yet.

The carpet cleaner has done a good job on the mattress and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to cover most of my tracks.

The only problem is the room stinks like a brewery and I'm desperate to get rid of the smell. The final piece in my clean up operation. The only problem is I can't detect where the stench is coming from. Anyone been through similar and cleaned up successfully? Any tips on products to use to get rid of and locate the main source of the stink?

I know where I went wrong. I filled up the bottle a bit too much and it was in sight of sunlight. I believe that's why it happened. It cannot happen again.

Any help much appreciated, cheers.

If you havent cleaned the curtains yet it may be coming from there- have them down, GENTLE wash either by machine or by hand depending on what type they are (by hand for nets a must I believe), a bit of febreeze around and an open window for a few hrs. If you still have the smell you will have missed something somewhere!

I know where I went wrong. I filled up the bottle a bit too much and it was in sight of sunlight. I believe that's why it happened. It cannot happen again.
Any help much appreciated, cheers.

You say you were "fermenting a 1.5 ltr bottle in the spare room" did you have an airlock on the bottle if not was the lid tight on the bottle, can you give us as much info as you can, thanks.

You say you were "fermenting a 1.5 ltr bottle in the spare room" did you have an airlock on the bottle if not was the lid tight on the bottle, can you give us as much info as you can, thanks.

Just the lid on the bottle, screwed one and a bit turns less than full.

If you havent cleaned the curtains yet it may be coming from there- have them down, GENTLE wash either by machine or by hand depending on what type they are (by hand for nets a must I believe), a bit of febreeze around and an open window for a few hrs. If you still have the smell you will have missed something somewhere!

I'll probably have to wash the curtains yes.

For the smell try some activated charcoal.

How does that work? Just put them in a bowl and let it absorb the smell?

Just the lid on the bottle, screwed one and a bit turns less than full.

I'll probably have to wash the curtains yes.

How does that work? Just put them in a bowl and let it absorb the smell?

Yes 👍

I do hope this has not put you off brewing :beer1:

welcome aboard

Thank you

No it hasn't, but I'll put the bottles in the bath in the spare room and probably cover with a cloth or towel to mitigate any potential disasters..

Awful what happened really.

Thank you

No it hasn't, but I'll put the bottles in the bath in the spare room and probably cover with a cloth or towel to mitigate any potential disasters..

sorry to hear about your issues. not pleasant at all.
get an inexpensive fermentation bucket and an airlock/blow off tube.
failing that a 5L bottle mineral of water can be had from most supermarkets for not much over a quid. only fill it to 3.5L when fementation is vigerous and use some kitchen towel with a rubber band to cover the top. when fermentation has died down a bit you can top it up to your desired final volume.

sorry to hear about your issues. not pleasant at all.
get an inexpensive fermentation bucket and an airlock/blow off tube.
failing that a 5L bottle mineral of water can be had from most supermarkets for not much over a quid. only fill it to 3.5L when fementation is vigerous and use some kitchen towel with a rubber band to cover the top. when fermentation has died down a bit you can top it up to your desired final volume.

I just came on to mention the 5ltr supermarket water and also possibly a balloon with pin prick hole rather than a lid or kitchen roll as you suggest 👍

Oh, and lucky it wasn't strawberry or raspberry cider 😁

expand...
Just the lid on the bottle, screwed one and a bit turns less than full

Buy 5 litres or spring water then use the bottle as a demijohn, if you don't have an airlock you can use a balloon with a small hole in it instead or leave the lid very loose sounds like the lid on your your earlier try wa too tight

Had this happen when I was a teenager and using my dad's old equipment to brew and then flavoured with blackcurrant squash.

I tidied up as best I could then when Iwas in the kitchen I saw purple streaks coming down the wall.

So if you have any rooms below you then you might have leaked through. Good luck.

If you are on a tight budget (who isint these days.) check out the WOW section on this forum.
Loads of tasty ideas for wines and ciders.

This is going to be difficult to hear. The majority of fluid will be inevitably in the carpet and soaked through to the under floor and underlay. This means that inevitably some of the sugars which are bacterially digestible will have soaked through and will result in long term odour. A hired carpet cleaner which pushes fluid into and sucks back up the fluid will go a long way to improve this and if you are lucky much of the fluid will have been absorbed and thus cleanable from the carpet. If the smell persists after drying then I'd encourage you to pull up the carpet from the gripper, and clean the under floor with diluted bleach to limit further bacterial degradation of the sugar, and let it dry thoroughly. Alternatively - pay for a carpet cleaner to come in and do this work for you, they will have access to products that may be able to suppress further bacterial digestion of the sugars.

Anna

This is going to be difficult to hear. The majority of fluid will be inevitably in the carpet and soaked through to the under floor and underlay. This means that inevitably some of the sugars which are bacterially digestible will have soaked through and will result in long term odour. A hired carpet cleaner which pushes fluid into and sucks back up the fluid will go a long way to improve this and if you are lucky much of the fluid will have been absorbed and thus cleanable from the carpet. If the smell persists after drying then I'd encourage you to pull up the carpet from the gripper, and clean the under floor with diluted bleach to limit further bacterial degradation of the sugar, and let it dry thoroughly. Alternatively - pay for a carpet cleaner to come in and do this work for you, they will have access to products that may be able to suppress further bacterial digestion of the sugars.

Anna

Mother knows best ! Ha ha, probably not what you want to hear though...

Btw, best thread title in ages 👍

Thank you

A towel won't do anything. Please invest in an airlock and get a bigger container.

I was fermenting a 1.5 ltr bottle in the spare room and suddenly heard a massive explosion, like a bomb going off. The cider had exploded everywhere - all over the curtains, walls, mattress, tables, carpet and really bad on the ceiling.
The only problem is I can't detect where the stench is coming from.

Have you changed your underpants?

In all truthfulness you need to start making in bigger quantities
2ltrs of cider a month is going to impress no one not least your good self.

Latest posts

Back