Massive cider explosion please help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to be difficult to hear. The majority of fluid will be inevitably in the carpet and soaked through to the under floor and underlay. This means that inevitably some of the sugars which are bacterially digestible will have soaked through and will result in long term odour. A hired carpet cleaner which pushes fluid into and sucks back up the fluid will go a long way to improve this and if you are lucky much of the fluid will have been absorbed and thus cleanable from the carpet. If the smell persists after drying then I'd encourage you to pull up the carpet from the gripper, and clean the under floor with diluted bleach to limit further bacterial degradation of the sugar, and let it dry thoroughly. Alternatively - pay for a carpet cleaner to come in and do this work for you, they will have access to products that may be able to suppress further bacterial digestion of the sugars.

Anna

I've rented a steam cleaner and some carpet shampoo and extractor. Let's see how that goes. The smell is generally getting more bearable and no I don't think any has seeped down to the below flat. Next step is to wash the curtains. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to cover my ****.

Btw, best thread title in ages đź‘Ť

Glad to be of service!

Will keep this updated.

I've rented a steam cleaner and some carpet shampoo and extractor. Let's see how that goes. The smell is generally getting more bearable and no I don't think any has seeped down to the below flat. Next step is to wash the curtains. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to cover my ****.
Sounds like a good plan, I really hope it works out ok for you 🤗. It is very unlikely to have penetrated below the floor. The carpet shampoo and extractor machines are very good. If you live in central belt Scotland, I'll happily drop off a spare fermenter and airlock for next time.

Anna

Back