Massive mistake - looking for advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just made a massive balls up 😭 I am currently making a kolsch and instead of putting 45g of spalter select in at 60 minutes I have opened the wrong packet and thrown in 70g of tettnang that were meant for 5 minutes and flame out ☹️ they went in to a hop spider so I have quickly pulled it out and stuck it in a bucket but now in 2 minds, either just put it back in and see how it turns out (it is only 2% aa) and put the spalter select in at flame out or go back to the original hop schedule and just put the spider back in at flame out?

Hi all, I have just made a massive balls up 😭 I am currently making a kolsch and instead of putting 45g of spalter select in at 60 minutes I have opened the wrong packet and thrown in 70g of tettnang that were meant for 5 minutes and flame out ☹️ they went in to a hop spider so I have quickly pulled it out and stuck it in a bucket but now in 2 minds, either just put it back in and see how it turns out (it is only 2% aa) and put the spalter select in at flame out or go back to the original hop schedule and just put the spider back in at flame out?
Go with the Tettnang but check the relative alpha acid content and adjust the quantity accordingly.

Not sure if this will be clear enough

Attachments

• 16979657356336591512990056727295.jpg
    16979657356336591512990056727295.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
Both can be used as aroma hop. You'll have lost a lot of the aroma already from the hop volatiles dissolving in the wort and then being boiled off over the next 60 minutes.

I would chuck the spider back in, use the Spalter as your 5 minute addition and chalk it all up to experience

Edit. Looking at the AA percentages, I'd probably add a bit more Spalter to the start of the boil to bring up the bitterness.

Both can be used as aroma hop. You'll have lost a lot of the aroma already from the hop volatiles dissolving in the wort and then being boiled off.

I would chuck the spider back in, use the Spalter as your 5 minute addition and chalk it all up to experience
That's what I was considering, cheers all

Change of mind.
Knock out the hop spider into a bowl and use the Spalter Select as per recipe. Then put the wet hops back in 5 minutes before the end as planned.
Sorry for ignoring you, think we cross posted so I have only just noticed this 🤦

In the end I added the tettnang in with 10g of spalter about 15 minutes into the boil and added the rest of the spalter for a 20 minute hop stand at 80 degrees. Think it is just going to be a case of waiting to see how it turns out and treat it as a learning opportunity to actually read the packets before opening them and throwing em all into the kettle 🤣

Suppose it gives me an excuse to make the same recipe again and see what the difference is 👍

Sorry for ignoring you, think we cross posted so I have only just noticed this 🤦

In the end I added the tettnang in with 10g of spalter about 15 minutes into the boil and added the rest of the spalter for a 20 minute hop stand at 80 degrees. Think it is just going to be a case of waiting to see how it turns out and treat it as a learning opportunity to actually read the packets before opening them and throwing em all into the kettle 🤣

Suppose it gives me an excuse to make the same recipe again and see what the difference is 👍
You could have used any mixture of those two hops in any proportions provided you got the bittering charge right. No reason why it shouldn't be an amazing beer.
The worst hop mistake I made was of putting Harlequin as the bittering and only hop in my mild. It turned out amazing and I use it all the time now.

Latest posts

Back