Maxi chiller for FV cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtoos

Regular.
Reaction score
Im using a maxi 210 chiller for cooling. At present I use the agitator python pump in order to pump the glycol through my chiller. This pump is controlled from the FV controller and the Maxi looks after itself on a separate controller set at -5C (agitator does not run).

It seems to function great and much cheaper than a grainfather or SS alternative. However the Maxi python pump unit does not seem to have a massive head and the pressure is low. Could it need replacing? I seem to spend ages getting this to prime. Once going its ok.

Anyway, I have 2 solutions.
Either replace the maxi agitator python pump (if this is at fault) OR
Add a pump into the coolant tank and pump straight out of there leaving the agitator to run when the Maxi is chilling.

The question I have is what would be best? I was thinking of adding a 24v Solar pump into the tank but not sure if it would work at -5C temperature environment. the other pump I know would do the job is the 12v SS Brewtech type pump - but they are about £40. Is there a massive difference in quality between the solar pumps and the SS Brewtech pumps?

Any ideas, advice? Does it sound like the Maxi pump unit is at fault? Is the pressure usually pretty high with a decent flow rate from them?

If I added a another pump then I could pump to a manifold and control 2 vessels at once from the same chiller.

TIA

i don't have a maxi but a similar model from mf refridgeration with no python pump, so i have no experience with those.

i installed the ss brewtech pump you mentioned (got the full heating and chilling bundle) in the tank in place of the agitator. i made a new acrylic block for the pipework to go through in case i want to put the agitator back in place at any point.

i've only managed to get my fv down to 6.5c with this set up so far, so i need to work on that for cold-crashing.

this is no help with your query of course, but i thought a bump may be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_190605.jpg
    IMG_20210410_190605.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20210410_190702.jpg
    IMG_20210410_190702.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 58
i gather you have a seperate vessel for the glycol, it's that right? or do you have glycol in the tank of the maxi?

Hi KGB,
Many thanks for your post. Yes the Maxi tank is full of glycol. Its quite a reservoir of it and its currently sat at -5C.
I have had my FV and brite tank down to 2C no problems, I am sure I could achieve a lower temperature if required. The only issue I find is the python pump takes ages to get primed and going. Not sure if it should be so hard. I was wanting to install the SS pump in the Maxi glycol tank and then pump directly out of it to the FV chiller coil.
I have seen really cheap solar 24v submersible pumps but I am not sure how they would cope in a glycol mix sat at -5C. I presume the SS pumps would do the job but they are expensive at £40 a piece.
Thanks

I used to have a set up with maxi chillers cooling 200l fvs using the python pumps and they worked fine ie they got 200l down to 3C overnight and that was with water not glycol. Sorry I can't give any more helpful info.

it may be that the pump is unable to handle the the glycol, which is more viscous than water and this increases as the temperature drops below 0c.

glycol also prevents the chiller from building up an ice bank, which is how they are intended to function.

True, I think I will get the ss pump and mount that in the chiller reservoir. That should do the job.
Thanks for the advice.

I use a Maxi 310 to cool my beers and my entire brew-shed. The Maxi pump performs flawlessly (touch wood!). I also use glycol at a ratio of almost 50:50 and the pump doesn’t struggle at all. My pump runs 24/7 but on the odd occasion when I have switched off the unit it starts up immediately. As I think you’re beginning to suspect, it sounds like the pump is faulty.

Ah, great stuff. Thanks for confirming.
Looking at the python pump prices I think I will leave it in the unit for the agitator op and purchase a ss pump and install. It will be a much cheaper and up to the job.

Latest posts

Back