Mead Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domsablos

Reaction score
Hi hope this is the best place to ask for advice. This is my second brew, the first was a batch of wine which fermented fantastically, went dry in two weeks.

Next up is a simple mead, initial gravity was 1.090, it seems to be fermenting super slow, its not moving the airlock (i might have a leak) after a week the gravity looks like it may have changed a smidge its more like 1.080 now but i can still hear it fizzing.

I opened it up added some more yeast hulls (another 2tsp) and gave it a shake, it degassed so much it blew the lid off and now my Kitchen smells of honey.

The following day there was half a cm of foam on the brew, but now its gone back to looking dead but still slightly fizzing.

Any thoughts?

Did you add yeast nutrients to the batch, or using a yeast nutrient schedule? Honey is very poor in nutrient and you need to try to degass it regularly the fist few days as the dissolved CO2 can also stall fermentation in mead in particular. There’s a good calculator and schedule advice here (which I use) BatchBuildr - MeadMakr

I tend to go all natural and add a tablespoon of dried fruit per gallon.

My mead always ferments out to completely dry that way and doesn't alter the flavour profile of the honey in any perceptible way (which I often found chemical nutrients could do).

I tend to go all natural and add a tablespoon of dried fruit per gallon.

My mead always ferments out to completely dry that way and doesn't alter the flavour profile of the honey in any perceptible way (which I often found chemical nutrients could do).
I've heard that adding raisins adds some neutrients, is other dried fruit better?

I've heard that adding raisins adds some neutrients, is other dried fruit better?
Raisins definitely work, I've done a few batches just using them but I found that they can impart a slightly odd, almost musty, sweetness to the finished mead.

It's all personal preference I suppose, but I tend to use dried mixed fruit from Tesco, it seems to be pretty neutral in terms of flavour and the yeast certainly seems to like it.

I want to have a go at the orange mead. My first venture into fermentation was mead but I wasn't overly impressed, I think I drank it too soon.

Will a neutral ale yeast work? Will the lower alcohol tolerance and attenuation give extra sweetness or just increase the risk of spoiling?

How long do I need to wait? I've heard a year is optimal!

For... research purposes.. I bought a variety case of sparkling mead and honey beers from Wye Valley meadery (now named Hive Mind) after seeing them on the Hairy Bikers Go Local.

I haven't tried the flavoured /melomel ones yet, but the 3.4% sparkling mead is absolutely lovely! Very impressed, would like to be able to make something like this
Can-Pure_750x.png

I did the ancient orange mead just over a fortnight ago. I used Gervin yeast since I bought loads of packs when Wilko closed down. It looks to be slowing right down - wondering if there is any benefit to cold conditioning mead or is it best to just leave it be?

I did the ancient orange mead just over a fortnight ago. I used Gervin yeast since I bought loads of packs when Wilko closed down. It looks to be slowing right down - wondering if there is any benefit to cold conditioning mead or is it best to just leave it be?
Snap I started the same mead mid December. Racked it twice now. Still slightly cloudy. I think it will be a long term project.

Back