Help, is my Cyser ruined?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Wallace

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First time trying my hand at cyser. Its been fermenting for 4 weeks now. I used 3lb of orange blossom honey, 1.5 liters of Treetop apple juice and D47 Lavlin yeast. It was rather frothy and foamy in the first 2 weeks then i noticed this on the top. At first i thought it was leftover from the foam but i am not so sure. Can anyone lend their expert eyes?
20231208_112910.jpg
20231208_112842.jpg

I doubt it is ruined. Carefully rack it off, into a clean jar and taste.

If its still sweet, help it continue fermenting.

If it is done. Top it up. Sulphite it and finish it.

I doubt it is ruined. Carefully rack it off, into a clean jar and taste.

If its still sweet, help it continue fermenting.

If it is done. Top it up. Sulphite it and finish it.
Thanks for the response! I will be giving this a try in the next night or two. If I need it to continue fermenting, what would be the course of action. Racking would remove it from the yeast right?

Thank you for the advice. I will be racking it in a couple night, I'll let you guys know how it goes
To everyone who helped with this: THANK YOU! after racking and a taste test I'd say all is well. I didn't have the tools when I started to take a starting measurement but we are at 17 brix and 1.020 gravity which should put it at about 15.4%abv. Taste is tart, dry yet still sweet.

Back