Mead?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artiums_enteri

Regular.
Reaction score
I couldn't find a mead thread, so I figured I would toss this in here.

Are there any experienced mead makers milling about? My wife and made our first mead, and I'm
Drinking it now, but I was looking for some advice on our second one. Mainly how do you get it to clear up? I racked it after about a month into a glass carboy, and let it sit at about 50* for 3 months. It is very tasty, just very hazy. Would cold crashing help with this as it does with beer?

There are some mead threads in the wine section, IIRC.
I've done 2, both cleared OK, in about the same timeframe as a slowish wine does.
So you probably just need to wait a bit longer.

That's what I figured. Never having made a wine before I really didn't know much about the aging process. Oh well, it turned out quite tasty nonetheless.

Hi,

I dabble in a few meads! Mainly the mrs who does them! She makes a cracking rhubarb and strawberry one!

The last mead I made was just a plain mead and it turned into a right pita! Would not clear and tasted very bland! I managed to clear it by wangling it ontop of some slows after racking my sloe gin. I think the yeast in the mead started fermenting the sugar on the sloes and the fermentation kicking off again cleared it! I put it die to forgetting to add nutrient when I started the mead and it was t the most ideal/healthiest fermentation! I've since racked it and it is now crystal clear and tasting awesome!

Leedsbrew.....Pardon me for being so bold to ask......but I don't suppose your Mrs would be willing to share the recipe for the Rhubarb and Strawberry Mead would she??? It sounds amazing :) I've been brewing wines for about 6 months and did a Spiced Orange mead last year which is currently maturing in a dark cupboard, at last taste, it is developing well. I'm keen to try other flavours as my friends and I are planning to have a big medevil banquet at some point, with a proper hog roast etc :) Spiced orange isn't to everyone's taste so I am keen to brew other flavours :)

Ah, Joe's Ancient Spiced Orange mead... mine took about 6 months to start tasting good.
You might want to try Blind Ben's mead, it's quicker. I've been enjoying it only a motnh or so after bottling, which is fast for a mead.

Blind Ben's recipe.
4 lemons, 500ML strong tea (I can't remember exactly what tea was used, but it won't have been anything that fancy),
2 tsp cinnamon (Ground), 1 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp grated ginger
2.1KG honey (The consensus is that clover honey is the best for mead)
Champagne yeast
1 tsp Acid blend (I had this left over from another brew - it’s basically a mixture of citric, tartaric and malic acid in one pot)
2 tsp yeast nutrient
Sterilise everything
Make a yeast starter: Find a cup, put some warm water in it and add some of the honey, cover and cool to 37°C.
Add the yeast, wait for 5/10 minutes and give it a stir.
Leave in a warm place for a while until it starts working - I usually forget about it for an hour or so whilst I'm prepping the rest of the brew.
Boil 5L of water, weight for a bit and turn the heat off.
Pour this into your FV, add the honey and start stirring it - it needs to dissolve otherwise it just sticks to the bottom.
Slice the lemons and add them along with everything else except the yeast to the FV.
Leave it for a while - when you touch the FV it shouldn't feel warm or cold.
Stir the starter mixture, add it to the FV and put the lid on.
After an hour or so remove the lemons.
Fermentation starts very quickly and is very violent - I did this in a 5 gal bucket so those of you who are using 5L FV’s might want to be a bit careful.
Leave for 5 days and taste; if you find it’s too sweet then leave it for another 2 and taste again. I found that after a week it was just right;
the taste difference between a 5 day ferment and a week is very noticeable.
When you're happy with the taste, strain this into bottles.
There will be various bits and bobs floating around and straining it at this stage means you can drink it as soon as you open the bottles later on.

My version has less honey and only 3 lemons as Ben's 5l water plus honey plus tea comes to about 7.5l - too much for a demi, and I don't want it too sweet.
2011-10-17
About 1l boiled water into large pan. 50 ml into a glass for rehydrating yeast, with a bit of honey.
4 jars honey (about 1.36kg) added to pan, more boiled water used to get last bits out of jars. Stir!
Gervin GV10 yeast added to glass when at 35.
Mug of Earl Grey added to pan. 3 lemons sliced into pan. Stir!
1tsp grated nutmeg to pan. Stir! 2tsp ground cinnamon to pan. Stir! Tiny piece vanilla pod to pan. Stir!
2tsp nutrient to pan. Stir! 1/2tsp tartaric to pan. Stir!
Yeast stirred at 15 minutes, bit of must added to make it a proper starter.
Pan heated gently to about 60 to get everything to infuse - no higher, to preserves honey's flavour. Much stirring.
Left to cool for about an hour, to approx pitch temperature.
Strained (sieve) to fermenting bucket, made up to about 4 litres with boiled water, stirred.
Yeast starter added and stirred in, lid fitted.
2011-10-18 (late)
It's got a nice head on it but not gone totally crazy so putting the rest of the honey in now.
Meant to use 1/2 a jar but have dissolved a whole one... Only an extra 1%abv, go for it.
2011-10-21
Sieved to demi, Campden added, topped up with bottled water.
Taste promising - bit sweet right now but still fermenting.
2011-11-22
Racked with sorbate & sulphite. Tastes quite good already.

No worries chaps! I think I've posted the recipe on here before but basically its a very "by eye" recipe

6 medium rhubarb stalks
1l jug full of strawberries
3 x 340g jars of clear honey

We blitz up the fruit with a campden tablet and leave it 24 hours. Then dissolve honey in 1L boiled water add it and the fruit pulp into a demi john, top up to the neck and add the yeast! simples! We use an ale yeast for sweet mead and champagne or wine yeast for dry.

Leave it to ferment out then rack and top up. You can either top up with boiled water or a honey water mix and then let it ferment out again? We then leave it to drop clear and depending on the sediment level rack as needed. By the time it comes to bottling it is usually well de-gassed. We bottle into wine bottled and cork. Takes a good 6 months to be good, 12 and it's awesome!

I have no idea how strong it is ABV wise but I know the dry mead has you rolling around on the floor after a couple of bottles! :D

cheers

LB

in fact I've just found a bottle of the 2010 vintage in the garage. Dropped bright as a button (crappy iPhone pic as nikon is dead)

124f0080.jpg

brewed 07/08/2010 bottled on 29/10/2010, and won't be getting opened until the Mrs can drink again after our March arrival! :D

also this is the sloe mead I was on about earlier in the thread

dc3bd342.jpg

4057ef84.jpg

It was a dull as dish water till I dropped it onto the sloes!

LB

Thank you very much Leeds :) Will def be getting a brew on the go at some point!! WIll keep you posted :) :cheers:

Mead is one of our regular brews, never have any trouble with it clearing.
Although the most recent one has very loose and fluffy sediment.
Not sure why? But it's impossible to pour without stirring up so it ends up cloudy!

Back