Milestones Black-Pearl, Possible fermentation issue.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortimer657

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to find out if there is a problem with my Milestone Black Pearl kit. I started it yesterday, sanitised everything that I used and followed the instructions to the letter, including rehydrating the yeast (Gervin English Ale Yeast, Muntons) and then adding it to approx 250ml wort. Left the yeast to start fermenting the wort which took around half an hour, there was a nice frothy head present and bubbles were beggining to form around the side of the container, with plenty of these rising to the surface and then added it to the main FV.

Around about 6 hours later it had developed a real explosive head of foam, which i'm told happens with these stout kits...the air lock was bubbling away vigorously from around 7-8 pm last night to around 10 am this morning and now its stopped...the foamy head seems to have subsided a lot and the water in the air lock is sitting in the U bend but not bubbling round. I've checked to make sure the FV is airtight and that none of the gasses are escaping through a crack or such like...gave the barrel a very gentle press and the air lock bubbled...so I know its sealed well. I read the instructions and it indicates that fermentation takes around 4-6 days, and obviously it has only been in the FV around 24 hours...What can the issue be? i'm worried its ruined...the temperature is a comfortable and steady at 21 to 22 degrees, instructions state temp should be between 20 and 24. So i'm at a loss as to what the problem may be. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping I haven't lost this one.

Cheers all,

Morti

stick with it I'm sure it will be fine leave it for a week then take a gravity reading and if it's where it's supposed to be your laughing :cheers:

Cheers mate...I took the advice of one of the lads on here who sugested giving it a very gentle stir. It is bubbling again and has been since then but I think the advice you've offered is sound. i'll give it a few days and then take a gravity reading. Hopefully should be all good to go. Smells fantastic at any rate.

Cheers
Morti

Just another point out of interest...this kit had a MASSIVE head of foam for the first approx 18-24 hours but it went right down and after giving it a very gentle stir as reccomended, it has stayed the same..though the air lock is bubbling away happily again (it started doing that as soon as i put the lid back on after giving it a gentle stir). ...Any ideas?? Is it normal if the cake/head just dies like that and vanishes?

Regards
Morti

Can't explain the loss of head but you're best bet is to do as Wolverine said... leave it alone for at least a week. Just 'cos it's not bubbling doesn't mean it's stopped fermenting.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back