Mini kegs - pros and cons?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR2Jay77

Reaction score
Morning peeps..... I'd like to pick your brains if that's OK?

So I now have my second micro brew bubbling away nicely in the demiJohn and that's got me thinking.... What would be a good way to transport these?

I do a lot of weekend car shows where we camp, have a few drinks etc but it is against the show rules and regulations to bring glass bottles on site. As I tend to bottle my ale in these, it does rule them out.

I then discovered these 5l mini kegs. They look perfect for what I need to do but I have a few questions. The size is absolutely spot on for my micro brews which is why I'm looking at them.

Firstly, how easy are these to clean? Secondly, when you move these around (like being sat in the boot of a car for example), does it disturb the sediment? Or are these force carbonated meaning no sediment?

Really tempted as on paper, they look perfect for what I want to do

Thanks guys :thumb:

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

If you have a spare hour or so have a read of this thread:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57568

Sounds like they are pretty much perfect for what you are looking for. They aren't force carbonated, just primed as normal (using half to 2/3 of your usual sugar - when I bought mine Brew UK recommended 20g a keg) and will need to be left to settle for a few hours when you get to destination.

Really easy to clean I find. I just put about 2L of water in a keg after use, slosh it about and repeat 2-3 times. Then I dry the inside with kitchen towel. Ive got smallish fingers so I can poke my finger in the bung hole along with the kitchen towel. Hold the keg upside down I just turn the keg to get at the water. Then I do the above (but just once) with star san. Then put the dust cover on - job done

OK, so they are primed as usual but with a co2 cartridge system to keep it "fresh". It'll be used in a weekend (in fact I doubt it would last a day).....

Glad to hear the cleaning isn't too bad.... I also didn't realise you can recycle the supermarket mini kegs which is handy....

I'm really warming to this idea as a perfect solution for what I want to do

OK, so they are primed as usual but with a co2 cartridge system to keep it "fresh". It'll be used in a weekend (in fact I doubt it would last a day).....

Glad to hear the cleaning isn't too bad.... I also didn't realise you can recycle the supermarket mini kegs which is handy....

I'm really warming to this idea as a perfect solution for what I want to do

If you're only using over a weekend you probably don't even need to get a CO2 dispensing system. Get a couple of Easy Kegs (the ones with the internal gravity tap) and it'll stay fresh for about 3 days.

If it is only likely to last a weekend, you wouldn't really need any gas to 'keep it fresh'! I find that with judicious closing of the vent after each pour, the beer remains good for nearly a week, well until it's empty anyway :drunk:

I'm considering the co2 ones as I'd like it to cover all eventualities.... So when I'm not at a show I can still keg it and use it over a week or 2....its the show thing that has got me thinking though and it's looking like a great solution

This is true.... Although there is something that just feels wrong about that.... Technically there is nothing wrong with it, maybe it's just me being a ponce

Well, just ordered a starter kit with 3 barrels, a beer king co2 tap, 5 cartridges and the reuseable rubber bungs..... It was on offer at one of the online brew stores I normally use so I thought "why not?" :thumb:

Pmsl! I totally missed that one... Unlike me ;)

I'm hoping to put my new brew into one to get it carbonated and matured before my first show in July... It's busy bubbling at the moment so should be ready for the secondary this weekend..... I'm actually looking forward to seeing how these get on :thumb:

Hi, I'm tempted to invest, could you advise where you got the offer set from please? Cheers!

Thanks, and they take PayPal, I've found PayPal very dangerous since getting into Homebrew a couple of months ago, far to easy to spend money!!

If you are using something like the Party Star which CO2 tap, then would you need to prime it at all?

I was under the impression the CO2 tap is to give you your fizzy beer, when why would you need to have primed it?

If you are using something like the Party Star which CO2 tap, then would you need to prime it at all?

I was under the impression the CO2 tap is to give you your fizzy beer, when why would you need to have primed it?

No priming it makes its fizzy. CO2 is to stop the beer going off and to help it out of the tap.

Back