Minor cock-up (hopefully)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodrell

Reaction score
OK, so I've just put my second AG brew (based on the Boddingtons recipe from the CAMRA homebrew book) to bed and have realised a little cock-up I made. Fingers crossed it won't cause too many issues.

I started the brew later in the day that I'd intended on Sunday so by 21.30 the beer had only cooled down to around 70degrees after the boil. Having no way to speed up cooling I had to leave it overnight to cool and carry on after work (I leave home at 6.20am so there was no way I was doing anything with it before work).

Of course I got delayed at work so things ended up being a bit of a rush last night but all seemed to be OK until halfway through syphoning the beer into the fermenting bin I realised I shouldn't have put any priming sugar in (that's later isn't it!). All appears OK in terms of clarity and the SG is 1.035 at 18 degrees but the 23 litres that currently (hopefully) fermenting has 80 grammes of brewing sugar mixed into it.

Other than taste is this going to cause me any problems?

sounds like it was a case of not give your self enough time and planning (dont worry ive done this more than once ha ha ).I put 200g of sugar in most of my brews to bring out the taste of the hops so 80g wont hurt.The main problem is- if your wort has sat around too warm for too long, the enzymes may build up to a leave that makes it turn bad and if it has been exposed to the air ie not in an air tight keg the bacterier in the air may make it go bad too - so it will probably be fine with the added sugar :pray:

That should be fine, you've probably added about 4 points to the OG (off the top of my head, check calculation if you really need to know) but the yeast will happily eat the sugar. You will still need to add more sugar when you bottle/keg it.

Hello Jodrell,

The extra sugar will not affect your Boddys.
Actually it`s not a bad stab at Boddys bitter, pre InBev of course.If anything there`s a bit too much crystal in it. 85gms. is plenty.
As I am sure you are aware Boddingtons had quite a few pubs in the `Joderell
area before it all went **** up.

You may be interested to know that the Cheshire Brewers Group
has a meeting at the Angel Hotel in Knutsford on Thursday 24 next, 8pm.
No membership just turn up.
s

thanks for the offer but I think a 360 mile round trip is a bit much ;-)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as last night after 24 hours there was no yeast head...I'll have another look tonight and maybe take an SG reading to see what, if anything, is happening in there

Latest posts

Back