Mixed up hop pellets, what to use them for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a clip lock plastic box that I keep hops in the freezer. In the bottom of that box is a random mix of hop pellets, around 100g. I generally use Magnum for bitterness and a revolving selection of aroma hops, some new world, some European.
Should I:
a) use them up as bittering hops early in the boil, and guess a AA of around 6?
b) stick the whole lot in as a very late addition/flame out, in a pale ale so I get minimum bittering from whatever they are?

Im usually pretty exact about my recipes so I can recreate them. Neither of the above options will let me do that. Using as bittering would seems safer but far more boring. But do I want to ruin 23l of beer?

I would go with a late addition/dry hop. Whatever you do, it'll add lots of flavour.

If you have no idea what AA content they have, then if you add it at the start of the boil, then you could end up with a nice bitterness, or 80IBUs. It's a lottery, but the wrong bitterness has more chance of making the beer unpalatable than a late addition

I'd add them to a pale ale that you've already made to give them some of that fresh dry hop fizz. Well ok I'd probably add them in a mesh bag, chill and discard the first murky half pint, but I like making things complicated for myself.

Pale Ale, I would 30 minute whirlpool @ sub 80c to minimise bittering and see what you get

Thanks for the reply’s, sometimes you just need someone else to confirm what you think you might do isn’t too stupid
I think I’m going to dump them all in at flame out with a bit of Idaho 7 (and possibly Columbus) in some sort of pale/session neipa type thing tomorrow. Something like:
4/4.5kg pale
300g wheat
300g oats
250g Vienna
Maybe a bit of light crystal.
Around 200g hood towards the end. Perhaps a touch of magnum 30 mins for a bit of bitterness.
See what it’s like then try mask anything too bad with a big dry hop later on.

I'd bite the bullet and throw them out. Is it worth ruining a beer tro save some random hops that might or might not be ok. How long have they been rattling around at the bottom of that box? I've been there- don't do it.

As Nat King Cole used to sing : Take a fool's advice.. etc

Pale ales can be very forgiving in terms of bitterness. I'd just use them for bittering using an average sort of guess for AAs.
If you overestimate you'll have a pub style pale ale, if you underestimate you'll have an IPA, and if you really underestimate you'll have a Victorian style pale ale
Trouble is with a 100g you've probably got enough for 4 or 5 brews.

I'd bite the bullet and throw them out. Is it worth ruining a beer tro save some random hops that might or might not be ok. How long have they been rattling around at the bottom of that box?
Hops last for AGES in the freezer. "Is it worth ruining a beer to save random hops?". It depends what you are like. There is no guarantee it'll ruin the beer - you have no idea how it'll come out. Experimentation can be fun, or you can play it safe. It's entirely up to Chico and how much or little this particular batch of beer means to them.

I'd lean towards whirlpooling in a pale. Worst case scenario - they are all magnum. You'll end up with a pleasant floral/spice character, which will be overwhelmed by any dry hop. Best case scenario - you'll produce a wonderful beer which you can never replicate!

I’ve chickened out and brewed a Belgium pale ale with a pack of EKG and cross my loof monk yeast. @An Ankoù I read your reply first thing and it made my mind up. Supplies are running low and brew time limited.

When the weather gets a bit better and I’ve more options for outside brewing. I’m going to use all the random hops up in a late addition/flameout/Whirlpool in a simple pale ale with some harvested yeast. Go cheap and cheerful and see what happens. I’ll post the brew when I make it and what happens.

Back