So how should I use these hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I have not been around for a while as not been brewing, but now have my enthusiasm for some summer brews.
I have been given a load of home grown hops, no idea what they are but the friend that grew them thinks they are possibly Centennial or another American citrus style hop.
Of course I have no other info for them, specifically their AA, so I was wondering whether to bitter with a known hop such as Cascade and then just chuck a load of these in for a 70deg. stand?

Other hops I have in stock are Challenger, Citra, Saaz (few), Jester, First Gold, EKG, Fuggles.

I am thinking of a blonde ale with possibly WLP002?

Or should I not risk them?

Sounds like a sensible plan to me. You definitely want to bitter with a known quantity so you can predict the IBUs.

I'd see what the beer is like after primary fermentation and then if it seems like it would benefit from it, dry hop to boost the hop flavour/aroma. Assuming you do have some Centennial then probably Citra would be the way to go for that.

👍🏼👍🏼Bitter with a known source. If you are used to tasting your stuff all the way through, adjust the dry hop accordingly. I have even made a simple hop vodka essence and added that later to lift a lackluster brew (or a cock up)

Are they dried?

Maybe a small batch with Challenger as bittering and then some of the homegrown at 20 mins, flameout, and dry hop to get an idea of the flavour and aroma contributions?

Blonde ale sounds like a sensible plan to get a feel for them.

👍🏼👍🏼Bitter with a known source. If you are used to tasting your stuff all the way through, adjust the dry hop accordingly. I have even made a simple hop vodka essence and added that later to lift a lackluster brew (or a cock up)
Or perhaps a hop tea?

Are they dried?

Maybe a small batch with Challenger as bittering and then some of the homegrown at 20 mins, flameout, and dry hop to get an idea of the flavour and aroma contributions?

Blonde ale sounds like a sensible plan to get a feel for them.
Thanks, I'll give that a try

Hi, I have not been around for a while as not been brewing, but now have my enthusiasm for some summer brews.
I have been given a load of home grown hops, no idea what they are but the friend that grew them thinks they are possibly Centennial or another American citrus style hop.
Of course I have no other info for them, specifically their AA, so I was wondering whether to bitter with a known hop such as Cascade and then just chuck a load of these in for a 70deg. stand?

Other hops I have in stock are Challenger, Citra, Saaz (few), Jester, First Gold, EKG, Fuggles.

I am thinking of a blonde ale with possibly WLP002?

Or should I not risk them?
Hi Galena, and welcome back. These are not fresh hops so what condition are they in? How have they been stored? What do they look and smell like?
If they're yellow and crumbly, with little hoppy smell when rubbed then they're probably best suited to a Belgian gueuze.

Hi Galena, and welcome back. These are not fresh hops so what condition are they in? How have they been stored? What do they look and smell like?
If they're yellow and crumbly, with little hoppy smell when rubbed then they're probably best suited to a Belgian gueuze.
Hi and thanks.
They have been sealed in plastic bags and stored in a freezer for 6 months, I haven't opened a bag yet to give them a rub but will give that a try.

Latest posts

Back