Most cost efficient bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobShandy

Reaction score
I am in South East London.

My local waitrose has 440ml grolsch 4% beer in the swing top bottles for £1.70. I wonder if drinking my way through grolsch is the most cost efficient way to pick up these bottles, if I am going to drink 'nornal' beer until I do another batch of my own anyway.

I see swing top bottles of 500ml and 1000ml on ebay for quite high prices.

I also see plastic food grade bottles on ebay for sale.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to pick up cost efficient bottles?

I could start to collect beer bottles and buy a bottling device to put on new caps. Perhaps I could buy bottles from pubs?

I probably only want 24 or 48 bottles, of whatever size.

Probably buying 500ml bottles from Aldi/Lidl would be the cheapest way to get them. And with free beer inside.
Keep an eye out on ebay/these boards. Occasionally brewers are getting rid of kit and it comes up cheap (local collection only). But on the most part, ignore ebay as it's just people trying to make a quick buck by selling crates of grolsch bottles for more than it cost them to buy from the supermarket

I don't use bottles but I have noticed that Ikea sell swing top bottles
0.5l @ £1.50
1l @ £2
Guessing that the Grolsh bottles (complete with fluid) may be more value add for you?

I am in South East London.

My local waitrose has 440ml grolsch 4% beer in the swing top bottles for £1.70. I wonder if drinking my way through grolsch is the most cost efficient way to pick up these bottles, if I am going to drink 'nornal' beer until I do another batch of my own anyway.

I see swing top bottles of 500ml and 1000ml on ebay for quite high prices.

I also see plastic food grade bottles on ebay for sale.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to pick up cost efficient bottles?

I could start to collect beer bottles and buy a bottling device to put on new caps. Perhaps I could buy bottles from pubs?

I probably only want 24 or 48 bottles, of whatever size.
I'm in SE London too. Ask at your local bottle shop if they will keep some by for you. e.g. Waterintobeer in Brockley.

IMO buying empty bottles is bonkers when you can buy them full of beer for not a lot more. And why does it need to be swing tops? Ordinary beer bottles and crown tops are fine. And bottles shoulld *never* break during bottle conditioning. If they do, you're doing something seriously wrong. Or the bottle has a flaw in it.

IMO buying empty bottles is bonkers when you can buy them full of beer for not a lot more. And why does it need to be swing tops? Ordinary beer bottles and crown tops are fine. And bottles shoulld *never* break during bottle conditioning. If they do, you're doing something seriously wrong. Or the bottle has a flaw in it.
I use both crown caps and swing tops. I find swing tops a lot easier to use, though it's not a necessity. I got all of mine cheap second hand though

I love this. I ask a question and the problem is solved by drinking more beer.

The world will be a more happy and peaceful place when people understand the answer to many questions is to drink more beer.

I am going to Asda to get the 4 for 3 bottles of 8.5% Duvel for £6.

I will buy a crowner. I have to get a few things anyway. Thanks for the tip about Waterintobeer, as that place is local to me.

I love this. I ask a question and the problem is solved by drinking more beer.
The world will be a more happy and peaceful place when people understand the answer to many questions is to drink more beer.
I am going to Asda to get the 4 for 3 bottles of 8.5% Duvel for £6.
I will buy a crowner. I have to get a few things anyway. Thanks for the tip about Waterintobeer, as that place is local to me.
Then you should definitely go more often! We do a homebrew club the first Sunday every month, you should come along!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to start bottling in 330 ml bottles a few years ago and just found an online bottle supplier. I got about 50 for 54p each delivered which I thought was quite good value.
Or you could try your local microbrewery if they bottle their beer themselves. They get bottles really cheap.

Agreed. Biggest pain is getting the labels off them.

Pubs throw them away why not ask your local if you could take some and buy a beer while you are there.
Yep, and it generally costs the pub money to dispose of them as well.
Go in, buy a few pints as 'compensation' to the landlord and ask if you root through his bottle bin the next morning.
95% of landlords empty the bottle Bina in the morning before opening (not something you can be arsed to do at midnight) and will happily let you take what you want when he does this.
And if the pub sells grolsch/other swingtop beers , even better!

Back