Motorola CPEi775 WiMax router

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A T

Regular.
Reaction score
I recently had to change isp, the current one gave me this router but locked me out of it :evil: I found my way in today only to see that there was no encryption on the wi-fi :nono: i changed that and the password but when i tried to log in again later they had it reset and the password changed again :wha: and to make it worse they crippled my internet speed which forced me to reset the box to get back in and play around. The trouble is i don't know much about these things and i'm afraid to change anything except obvious stuff in case i kill it. Are any of you guys familar with these routers or wi-max technology, i'm probably wasting my time if the isp is gonna keep reseting it and locking me out but it's not nice having the wi-fi signal broadcast without any encryption
Would the answer be to buy a new wi-max router so i can have control of the security?

If you have the wireless router from your old isp, you should be able to connect that to your new router, switch the wireless capabilty off on your new router and use your old routers wireless.

You will need to set the old router with a static IP address and use the new routers ISP address as the default gateway, it also helps if you make all your connected equipment have static IP addresses.

hope the above makes some sense.

UP

A T said:
I recently had to change isp, the current one gave me this router but locked me out of it :evil: I found my way in today only to see that there was no encryption on the wi-fi :nono: i changed that and the password but when i tried to log in again later they had it reset and the password changed again :wha:

A T your isp has no control over your router so it was not them that reset it sounds to me like one of your neighbours is piggybacking your internet which would explain the lack of speed and the router reseting itself so they can keep connected to your free internet :shock:

Best way to fix this is unplug the phone feed from the router reset it and turn the wifi off and reset it via the lan cable change the username and password on the router itself and put the login details for your isp and change the wireless security settings to wpa set yourself a password for the wpa and turn on wireless connect the phoneline feed and restart the router and you should be fine :thumb:

And turn off SSID Broadcast . . . . turn on MAC Filtering especially on the WiFi Side and as UP said dont :oops: set it up for DHCP (but don't forget to configure your PC MAC and IP Address before you do that :oops:)

100% It's my isp doing this, i found a thread about it, there's people leaving them in huge numbers :evil: I'll be doing the same myself

Once you've changed the password on the router then your isp or whoever should not be able to gain access to the router to change any settings on it if your isp have accessed it then your network is not safe.

Unless they have their own 'admin' account :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If they are accessing your system (even the router) without your permission they are breaking the Computer Misuse Act 1990.

Just as an experiment, I would change the settings, leave it disconnected from the internet while at work and then check it once I'd got home (just incase of piggybacking/warXing). If you are going through another ISP its pretty hard to 'find' a specific router.

A T said:
100% It's my isp doing this, i found a thread about it, there's people leaving them in huge numbers :evil: I'll be doing the same myself

I found i had the same problem when i changed from A*L to Vi***n. The router which AOL sent me would not work with V****n BB.

Latest posts

Back