Mould in fermentation chamber

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixhaz

Regular.
Reaction score
I've just opened up my fermentation chamber (a chest freezer with Inkbird) after my lager's diacetyl rest, and the thing is full of mould. The beer is well sealed obviously so no issue there, but just wondering how you all avoid this problem? This is only the second time I've used it, the first was for Kveik, and at 40-odd degrees there was no sign of mould.
Thanks!

I've just opened up my fermentation chamber (a chest freezer with Inkbird) after my lager's diacetyl rest, and the thing is full of mould. The beer is well sealed obviously so no issue there, but just wondering how you all avoid this problem? This is only the second time I've used it, the first was for Kveik, and at 40-odd degrees there was no sign of mould.
Thanks!
I’d get a load of neat bleach on it, that should shift it 👍 not had that issue before though

Bloody stuff gets everywhere if you let it. My garage is terrible for it as the airflow is so poor. Bleach will shift it but it being a little damp and no airflow, it'll come back, can you get one of those little blocks which suck in the damp? Can't remember the name of them...

Yeah I've disinfected it and left it open to air out now. I'll grab one of those moisture thingies from the pound shop, good idea.

Freezers or fridges shouldn't normally get mould inside.
I suggest you give it a good clean inside with warm soapy water, then give it the bleach treatment before letting it fully dry out. Then in between uses leave the lid or door slightly open or wider if you can, and even wipe over the inside with bleach after you have used it to kill off anything from your brewing process.

Thanks!
I get it sometimes in my keezer. It's unavoidable when you put a warm keg (20C after fermentation) into a chamber with colder surfaces. Condensation will form and if you've got mould spores then it'll grow. Keeping the surfaces dry by preventing condensation from forming with a computer fan inside seems to help a lot. Otherwise I just clean the inside surfaces with a VWP solution each time I change over a keg.

I wonder why people are getting mold. My fridges have no problems although i had a chair in the garage go moldy. Possibly from accidentally closing the door while brewing. Vinegar in a spray bottle can remove contamination and the smell.

Thanks guys, I think a computer fan is a great idea, I'll see about fitting one in there. The problem is that it's in a dark warehouse, so there's probably heaps of mould in the air. I had the drain plug out for some air circulation but fruit flies kept crawling in and that annoyed me so I closed it up again. There was quite a lot of condensation pooled at the bottom of the freezer this time around.

I get the same thing, cheap fridge with little pooling sites everywhere and no space for a fan. I just use a spray bottle of mould remover and then really really dry it each time I empty the fridge as a matter of routine.

I know this is a bit of an old post, but in case it helps anyone……

I’ve got a 150 liter chest freezer that I use for fermentation chamber. When I started using it I did start to see the odd bit of mould here and there. Using an inkbird for controlling the cooling and an old hambleton bard heat pad for heating. So I bought a 24 volt 80mm cooling fan and a 12v power supply so it runs slower. Keeping the air moving seems to stop the mould dead and have not seen any since moving to this setup about 6 months ago. Has the added benefit of keeping the temperature set point to +/- 0.3 degrees according to the data logger. Previously it would swing up and down round the set point by 3 degrees as heating and cooling were fighting each other no matter what deadband I used on the heating/cooling differential. Also put the same setup in my serving keezer as noticed the difference in temp between the top and bottom of the keezer could by as much as 6 degrees. Moving the temp probe halfway helped, but again, now only 0.3 degrees difference.

Attachments

• 288EDAB1-BA7F-4C8F-B2A6-B704207FBF77.png
    288EDAB1-BA7F-4C8F-B2A6-B704207FBF77.png
    743.1 KB · Views: 20
I know this is a bit of an old post, but in case it helps anyone……

I’ve got a 150 liter chest freezer that I use for fermentation chamber. When I started using it I did start to see the odd bit of mould here and there. Using an inkbird for controlling the cooling and an old hambleton bard heat pad for heating. So I bought a 24 volt 80mm cooling fan and a 12v power supply so it runs slower. Keeping the air moving seems to stop the mould dead and have not seen any since moving to this setup about 6 months ago. Has the added benefit of keeping the temperature set point to +/- 0.3 degrees according to the data logger. Previously it would swing up and down round the set point by 3 degrees as heating and cooling were fighting each other no matter what deadband I used on the heating/cooling differential. Also put the same setup in my serving keezer as noticed the difference in temp between the top and bottom of the keezer could by as much as 6 degrees. Moving the temp probe halfway helped, but again, now only 0.3 degrees difference.
If you tape your probe behind a folded square of kitchen roll to the side of your most full corny then you'll avoid temperature swings and be closer to measuring the temperature of the beer itself.

Yep. That’s what I used to do, along with a bit of kitchen foil outermost. But the fan also stops the mould issues as it’s a converted chest freezer too.

Yep. That’s what I used to do, along with a bit of kitchen foil outermost. But the fan also stops the mould issues as it’s a converted chest freezer too.
Same here. When doing lagers I find the lower keezer temperature causes condensation if I don't run a fan.

Back