Mouldy pipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chojo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just got my gear out ready to bottle my latest batch of wine and found my syphon tube has gone mouldy inside again. This happens every time i put them away i clean them through with awp and rinse then swing them round my head a few times to rinse but still they get mould in them. Any ideas how to how to stop this i know pipes not expensive but i'm sick of buying them i'm on my fifth syphon now.

how strange...

I never really bother. After use it gets a rinse, outside under the tap and inside running water through.

Before use it gets a soak in VWP and a good rinse.

It's still clean. :wha:

How, exactly do you clean it?

i have 2 pipes with a tap in the middle then put both ends of the racking cane in the pipes to close it off and make one big loop then put in my cardboard box full of brewing bits under the stairs

its flushed with hot sterilizer and spun dryed before and after use

I would say your not getting your pipes cleaned out regularly enough..................... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Have a word with the missus :D :D

graysalchemy said:
I would say your not getting your pipes cleaned out regularly enough..................... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Have a word with the missus :D :D

with a c section and new baby my pipes are not going to be cleaned for a while yet :rofl:

anyway back to syphons

I have found the easiest way is to stick the end of the syphon tube up the small end of one of my funnels, its not a perfect fit but allows plenty of steriliser to flow through when poured into the funnel, i have never had mould in the syphon tube.

Thanks for all the replies fellas,I clean them by syphoning clean water through first to rinse them of any wine sediment or gunk (I nearly always cock up the syphoning from dj to bottle and draw sediment through in the last bit) then syphon awp through them rinse again then swirl over my head like a chippendale on speed to try and dry them (not a pretty sight) then I store them in the draw with all my brewing bits and bob's. I can't see how they're getting mouldy when they appear to be clean before storage. :hmm:

I don't try to dry mine i just pour out the steriliser then put the tube away, leaving the tube wet inside with steriliser will help keep it clean.

Personally, I wash the pipe out, run some sanitiser through it and hang it over a door to dry for a few days.
I don't bother rinceing until I want to use it again.

I don't like taps because you can't clean them properly but if I had them, I'd remove them to facilitate drying.

I was getting it in some plastic buckets I use for storing my bits and bobs in. I noticed there was very small water stains around them. I figured it was probably the high humidity and lack of air circulation in the bucket. I now store with the lid loose and its stopped how you get good air circulation in syphon tubing I dont know. :wha:

I've always understood that nasties have a hard time surviving in the dry.

Once clean, I syphon some sanitiser through, then do the Zoro swinging thing above my head in the garden a bit, and hang the middle of the tube on a nail in my drafty shed. No problems yet. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back