MOVING ON!!!!!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simo72

Reaction score
So having done a few kits now with my favourites being the festival range golden stag and old suffolk strong,I am now deciding to take the next step so have obtained a 19 ltr electric boiler(tea urn). Since this is new to me I have ordered an all grain kit from Worcester hop shop only a tenner for whole kit(exmoor gold) and am gonna attempt to BIAB this kit :pray: I am going to make a bag from a voille curtain to mash the grain in, sparge the dregs in a spare fv to get as much sugars out as possible to refill the boiler and then boil for prescribed time with hop additions as required.I dont have a chiller of any kind so its gonna have to be ice water bath and running cold water.
I hope this turns out OK as I want to see for myself whether all the extra effort is worthwhile, as a lot of people on here swear it is far superior to kits.
I have also ordered some extra hops and DME so may also attempt an extract brew of some kind or could just modify some kits.
God this new hobby is taking over my life, someone please help :grin:

Be interested in this... Let us know your results and how you're getting on, and whether there is a big rate difference or not...

simo72 said:
I hope this turns out OK as I want to see for myself whether all the extra effort is worthwhile, as a lot of people on here swear it is far superior to kits.
I have also ordered some extra hops and DME so may also attempt an extract brew of some kind or could just modify some kits.
God this new hobby is taking over my life, someone please help :grin:

No reason why it shouldnt turn out OK! And all grain is better not just for quality but for satisfaction in knowing you have made BEER! :thumb:

As to it taking over your life.... sorry mate, that only gets worse :lol:

Got a week off work next week so gonna be doing the Exmoor gold early next week,got a lager fermenting in the shed gonna dry hop that with some saaz hops. Got some light extract and some goldings along with crystal,caramel and chocolate malts so probably gonna make summat out of those too.
On the subject of extra mats I am wondering whether to use some in the exmoor gold to make up for probable lower efficiency due to BIAB brewing and my complete greenness
:mrgreen: .Any suggestions anyone ?

Turn back now you fool... :lol: your on a slippy slope.....look at the rest of us..do you want to turn out like us. :drunk:

It's when you start telling yourself lies like "a shed is totally necessary, so I don't annoy SWMBO with my brewing" you know you have a problem!

Download the "calculator" from the BIAB forum, it will tell you how much water to use for a specific recepie as most are not BIAB. I usually use an identical grain/hop bill and add the water specified by the calculator. I suspect you will need to scale down the batch size with a 19 l brew pot.

Worst case scenario you end up with beer that is loads better than a kit :)

The question was asked what IS the difference between Kit and AG , well i say this kits are like eating a shop brand cake , (extract are like the '' better'' shop cakes ) while AG is like eating 1 of grannies home made cakes . Yes some people may like shop bought cakes but which is better , defo grannies food .

abeyptfc said:
there won't be many kit brewers left, they all seem to be turning to the dark side quicker than ever!
For me its curiosity as to whether its worth the extra effort plus it is a lot cheaper to all grain brew, this all grain kit is a tenner with yeast,hops even a protofloc tablet?, compared to a decent kit which for a festival is £22-£25 . Its a no brainer really all supposing that i manage to do a decent job with it that is :pray:
Asalpaws said:
It's when you start telling yourself lies like "a shed is totally necessary, so I don't annoy SWMBO with my brewing" you know you have a problem!

Download the "calculator" from the BIAB forum, it will tell you how much water to use for a specific recepie as most are not BIAB. I usually use an identical grain/hop bill and add the water specified by the calculator. I suspect you will need to scale down the batch size with a 19 l brew pot.

Worst case scenario you end up with beer that is loads better than a kit :)
Already commandeered the outhouse tho it is attached to the house and only about 10ft x 4ft :grin:
cant download the calculator at the mo as have no laptop and am using phone to browse forum so i am gonna have to wing it to some extent and expect to have to brew it short which is no biggy just hope i get some decent hoppiness in there, not too bothered about reproducing an exact clone more something drinkable :drink:
pittsy said:
The question was asked what IS the difference between Kit and AG , well i say this kits are like eating a shop brand cake , (extract are like the '' better'' shop cakes ) while AG is like eating 1 of grannies home made cakes . Yes some people may like shop bought cakes but which is better , defo grannies food .
Homemade all the way :cheers:

Well I have just bottled the exmoor gold,I dry hopped it with some EKG for extra aroma.Fist impession's are excellent as its got a lovely balance to the flavour and the bitteness is there right through to a smooth finish with absolutely no harsh tang that you get from kits. I reckon its grain all the way from now on tho I do have an extract brew thats nearly ready to bottle so going to wait and see how that turns out first before totally committing.

I look on this as a hobby, only with this hobby I get the satisfaction of rather good beer which I make myself :drink:

Many hobbies cost a lot, both in time and cash, but the results from brewing your own are good value for money :cheers:

I spent less in one year on all the gear I needed to go over to 'The Dark Side' and begin AG brewing and brewed 60 gallons of very drinkable beer, for less than my neighbour pays for one years membership of his golf club (and that doesn't include the cost of a set of golf bats etc etc :idea: ) so I don't think its expensive at all and as for taking over :?: well there are many worse things you could be doing :whistle:

Back