Munton's Gold Old English Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wherrypuzzled

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry but search didn't help out

Just bought this Kit but only had 1 yeast sachet when I got it home. I always used to check in Wilco, Boyes and similar places as (I'm guessing) people used to open Kits and remove one Yeast but this was on shelf of local home brew shop

So should it have 2 sachets please ? If yes I've got spares which I've bought of course

Cheers Wherrypuzzled

Last edited:
I did this kit about 6 months ago. Just the one sachet of yeast was supplied. It fermented ok but the OG was a touch low. The beer turned out tasty enough, not particularly full bodied but had a nice malty backbone to it. I'd certainly do it again 👍

Cheers Tom

Thanks very much soupdragon for the reply

Given where I bought it I didnt really expect the Kit to have been rustled for a sachet of yeast but I know some Muntons (Woodfordes etc) have had issues of stuck fermentation and Muntons added a second Yeast and that seems to have cured the issue

So I was surprised to find just one and now wonder , shall I put them both in.

One for the future lol , only 5 days gone so far

Thanks again JT

How much is in the yeast packet: 6g or 12g? If 6 then I wouldn't risk it and either get another6g or a full 12g packet, you really need 11/12g of yeast for a 23L brew or you risk a stuck fermentation, as you have pointed out.

You can ferment out with 6g but sometimes it doesn't always work, not worth the risk in my opinion.

I got a Muntons Smugglers Special at the same time. 3.6kg of malt but still only 1 sachet of yeast. I've not done it yet but out of interest I emailed Muntons asking about the single sachet. They assured me (they would though) that the single 6g sachet will be fine. I did mention the stuck fermentation thing and 2 sachets with the Woodford kits but they were adamant that their own kits will be ok.
Maybe there's something specific with the recipe of the Woodfordes range that needs the extra "umph" of a second sachet? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know but I kept the olde English bitter at around 21⁰c for the duration of fermentation and it turned out fine. Rather nice actually

Cheers Tom

Yes I have looked and I have 6g of Yeast in sachet supplied

Also got an identical 6g sachet bought up from Wilko recently

Can I play safe and put 12g of yeast in or split the difference with 9g OR can I overdo the Yeast

I've been at this game on and off for 50 years and am still a beginner in such matters

Cheers Wherrypuzzled

Yes I have looked and I have 6g of Yeast in sachet supplied

Also got an identical 6g sachet bought up from Wilko recently
I don't know which yeast you got from Wilko as the beer yeast in a 11g sachet (rebranded Nottingham). They used to sell wine yeast in 5g sachets too.
I'd double check which yeast you have, if it's the Wilko Gervin beer yeast you can just swap that with the kit yeast and it'll fine. If it's the Gervin universal wine yeast I wouldn't use that in a beer. It'd still ferment but it's actually reported to be a sparkling wine yeast so isn't best suited to a malty beer

Cheers Tom

Hi Tom

May be my memory playing tricks on me because the Sachet in the Kit is identically packaged as the ones I bought. The bbe dates are almost identical and i am now thinking I bought from Boyes when I was left a sachet short in a Woodfordes kit a while back

Neither say Beer but then again they dont say wine either and I wouldnt have bought Wine yeast as I long since stopped making that (20 years ish) so convinced I have a Beer yeast

So should I go 6 , 9 or 12 in your respected opinion

Cheers JT

It depends on how comfortable you are with your process. I wouldn't have a problem just using 6g if I was sure I could maintain a reasonable temperature. I wouldn't bother with 9g, leaving half a pack. Unless you're going to brew another kit in the next couple of weeks to use it up? If you do, keep the opened sachet in the fridge (it's a good idea to keep it in the fridge opened or not). The safest option is to use 12g.
If the Boyes (?) yeast has "6g yeast premium made in EU" printed on it then I'm 99.9% certain it's the same as the Muntons kit yeast 👍

Cheers Tom

I will , although I found it is supplied with 6g sachet of yeast and instructions I found online said something like " and add the sachet of Yeast " singular

But as you say why risk it ?

Latest posts

Back