Wilko kits - best way to go?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBandit

Reaction score
My brew fridge is empty, no kits at home to get started and my local brew shop doesn't open until Saturday. So I think I'll pop in to Wilko tomorrow to see what they have.

My last 1/2 dozen kits have been the two-tin Munton's kits and I feel they are far better than the single tin kits. St Peter's Cream Stout and Hazy IPA being particular favourites.

Is it a thing to get two single tin kits (in my case, a Wilko offering) and mix them up together? Will extra sugar be needed or can I get away with just the kits and yeast?
Also, is it worth upgrading bundled yeast with the Wilko Gervin English Ale yeast? I've also got some packs of yeast I've saved from Munton's Connoisseurs kits... would one of these be any better than Wilko yeast? Or am I overthinking it!

Thanks

EDIT: I've posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry! Maybe a mod could move it? :-/

The trouble with using single can kits together is that they have been hopped for each kit so you will get double the hopping, this can make some of the kits too bitter and unbalanced.
I would stick with single cans and maybe pimp them once you have tried them on their own(you may like them as is) or 2 can kits.
Using a better yeast is a good idea but Gervin/Wilko is mainly for ales, look at the Crossmyloof site and maybe order a more specific yeast selection for the styles you brew

The trouble with using single can kits together is that they have been hopped for each kit so you will get double the hopping, this can make some of the kits too bitter and unbalanced.
I would stick with single cans and maybe pimp them once you have tried them on their own(you may like them as is) or 2 can kits.
Using a better yeast is a good idea but Gervin/Wilko is mainly for ales, look at the Crossmyloof site and maybe order a more specific yeast selection for the styles you brew
Okey dokey, thank you. I did wonder if something like this would be the case.

I'll just get a single can tomorrow. I did notice one of their stouts apparently has an extra sachet of hops (one of which I could omit) but I don't think I'll risk messing it up.

Thank you!

If you go for the single kit supplement some of the sugar.
They are usually called a kit and kilo the kilo referring to the sugar but maybe use 500grams of dried malt extract (wilko sell this too) so less sugar which will help to give the beer more body as sugar thins the beer out

Another option is THESE. For the price they're hard to beat. 2.5kg of malt and 50g of dry hops. I'm sure the yeast is a 10g packet of yeast too. All that for less than £15, better value than most kits out there.
I've not done one myself yet but will be buying one tomorrow and plan on adding 500g of dextrose rather than the full kilo. A friend of mine has done the American IPA a few times and says it's a good-un. For me it's the 50g of hops that make it a cut above

Cheers Tom

Another option is THESE. For the price they're hard to beat. 2.5kg of malt and 50g of dry hops. I'm sure the yeast is a 10g packet of yeast too. All that for less than £15, better value than most kits out there.

Thanks for the link Soupdragon, cracking value and can't go wrong for that money so I bought the IPA & the Irish stout for crimbo.

Now got me thinking here about a September quick brew I have some so4 yeast in the fridge a 250 gram pack of progress leaf hops who's best by date is getting close (to steep or dry hop ) was thinking of bumping up the SG of a Woodfordes Wherry £17.60 Wilco to around 1065 ish with DME I also have. Would it wreck the brew ?
PS also have caropils & crystal malts available

Okey dokey, thank you. I did wonder if something like this would be the case.

I'll just get a single can tomorrow. I did notice one of their stouts apparently has an extra sachet of hops (one of which I could omit) but I don't think I'll risk messing it up.

Thank you!
I always use:
  • 500g of DME instead of the recommended sugar.
  • Any hops as a Hop Tea.
Works well for me!
athumb..

Latest posts

Back