Muntons malt extract recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I've bought a few cans of muntons malt extract and I've been looking for recipes online. To be honest I have looked at the muntons app and I think it's ****. Does anyone one have any suggestions on how to add bitterness and aroma? Is it ok to dilute and heat one can to 80 in an 11 litre pot and do a whirlpool then dry hop, or do people do a hop tea and add that. I can't believe muntons don't suggest any recipes. Maybe I'm missing something

Going to put this together today. As I haven't got time to do an all grain. I want to try out this new hop type.
Muntons Maris Otter light malt extract
Muntons Maris Otter oat malt extract
200g harlequin hops
Safeale us-05,
Safeale s-04 or mangrove Jack's m12 kveik
I was going to boil one of the cans and add hops for 15 minutes and a hopstand at 80 gor 15 minutes then dry hop for 4 days at the end of fermentation.
Any advice on yeast choice and amounts of hops to use at the times mentioned
Any advice greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20221106_095241.jpg
    20221106_095241.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
I was going to boil one of the cans and add hops for 15 minutes and a hopstand at 80 gor 15 minutes then dry hop for 4 days at the end of fermentation.

For a start, need to know the AA of your hops. Then plug the figures into a brewing calculator like Brewers Friend
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator
I've never used Harlequin before but the AA range seems to be 9.5-12. 3kg Liquid malt Extract will give you an OG of 1044 for a 20L brew, although no idea what Oat Malt Extract is. 25g Harlequin boiled for 60min will give you about 35IBU. Just be careful boiling LME, it can stick to the bottom and burn.

Going to put this together today. As I haven't got time to do an all grain. I want to try out this new hop type.
Muntons Maris Otter light malt extract
Muntons Maris Otter oat malt extract
200g harlequin hops
Safeale us-05,
Safeale s-04 or mangrove Jack's m12 kveik

That sounds good to to me, I'm quite fond of Harlequin. I've never used malted oats (only flaked unmalted), so not sure how I'd use that or if I'd treat it the same as flaked oats which is usually about 5-10% of the total grist.

When I use DME I treat the recipe the basically the same besides substituting the base malt for extract and accounting for PPG difference, and steeping the darker grains as the water come up to boil, resting briefly around 65-70C. I add a small amount of the malt while boiling to help hop extraction and the rest at the end of the boil.

Last edited:
That sounds good to to me, I'm quite fond of Harlequin. I've never used malted oats (only flaked unmalted), so not sure how I'd use that or if I'd treat it the same as flaked oats which is usually about 5-10% of the total grist.

When I use DME I treat the recipe the basically the same besides substituting the base malt for extract and accounting for PPG difference, and steeping the darker grains as the water come up to boil, resting briefly around 65-70C. I add a small amount of the malt while boiling to help hop extraction and the rest at the end of the boil.
I'm just wondering what yeast to use

I think I'm going to go with the 05 as I can't get my fridge up the 30 for the kveik

US-05 is alright for an all-purpose ale yeast. Haven't used it for a few years though. I prefer Mangrove Jack's yeasts myself, something like M-36 Liberty Bell works well. Occasionally I use the Wilko Gervin too which is decent

Latest posts

Back