Muntons yeast replacements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyV8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have 2 x Muntons Hand Crafted kits on their way to me (Winter warmer and American IPA)
I haven't tried any of the Muntons kits before, but have read some poor reviews of their standard/included yeasts

Any recommendations for yeast replacements on these specific kits?
Cheers
Alan

I’ve only made a couple of Muntons kits. They were fine. I’ve recently made up a Coopers Canadian Blonde. I replaced the kit yeast with a Verdant IPA yeast and I also dry hopped the brew with Citra and Mosaic Hops.

Muntons are rumoured to make the Range store make your own wine kits they are very good.
(i have made many gallons of Red & Rose)

Hi all,
I have 2 x Muntons Hand Crafted kits on their way to me (Winter warmer and American IPA)
I haven't tried any of the Muntons kits before, but have read some poor reviews of their standard/included yeasts

Any recommendations for yeast replacements on these specific kits?
Cheers
Alan
If your brewing one kit after the other and as Munton`s use the same yeast across the range then you could pitch both sachets from both kits in the first gyle you do then repitch Some of the slurry (about 150 mls) from that into the second brew.

The problem with the Muntons kits is not the quality of the yeast but the quantity: you really need 11/12g of yeast for 23L and the kits come with 6g. Whilst this works sometimes, sometimes it runs out of steam and you end up with a stuck brew, finishing high around 1020.

Any generic ale yeast will do as a substitute, Gervin yeast and S-04 are two examples.

Back