My first AG biab brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworkmaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I finally plucked up the courage and dived in , crossmyloof we're all doomed mini 4.5l biab kit , currently on the last 40 mins of the boil , final volume is looking good ( notched plastic brewing spoon at 1l marks for my pan) .
Next stage is Irish moss at 10 mins then 60 min hop stand.
During mashing I lost 8°c over 90 mins.
Off heat in insulated jacket , hoping that's not to horrific.
Pic is the blue peter inspired bodge insulation jacket for the 19l stock pot , tins were holding the foam lid firmly down.
Will update with SG later , fingers crossed

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_134327.jpg
    IMG_20220926_134327.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 5
Ok I think I made a boo boo which will teach me not to watch YouTube guides in multiple parts whilst babysitting * dohhhhhh* .

Soooo did the brew with Irish moss at 10 min before flame out as per destructions.
Cold crashed to about 24°c and tipped whole lot into fermentor ( this was the mistake I think ).
Pitched yeast and off it went like the clappers ( horn kviek yeast ).
Saturday it had been zero airlock activity for 48h so took a peek in the bucket and their were large lumps of what I'm now assuming is trub and the protein gunk that I should have let settle for a bit in the tun.
Soo I cold crashed till tonight and 95% has fallen to bottom, racked into sanitised DJ and added starbrite finings .
Back in fridge and fingers crossed , the tiny sample I took tasted nice so I'm hoping this does the trick .
So erm how do I avoid this next time please peeps.

I presume it's personal choice. I always transfer as much of the wort as possible from the boil kettle to the cube and then into the fermenter. Most things will settle.out or be left behind when you transfer out of the fermenter. Doesn't sound to me like you've done anything "wrong"

I presume it's personal choice. I always transfer as much of the wort as possible from the boil kettle to the cube and then into the fermenter. Most things will settle.out or be left behind when you transfer out of the fermenter. Doesn't sound to me like you've done anything "wrong"
I wish I had taken a picture , this was my first time with AG only done extract kits prior , best way I can describe what was left after I transfer it was like clumps of wet sponge cake .
I'm wondering then if this has something to do with the yeast strain used as well as with kits they form a nice solid layer of crud at the bottom where as this was all loose and clumpy , with some initially partially floating ,semi submerged.

I wish I had taken a picture , this was my first time with AG only done extract kits prior , best way I can describe what was left after I transfer it was like clumps of wet sponge cake .
I'm wondering then if this has something to do with the yeast strain used as well as with kits they form a nice solid layer of crud at the bottom where as this was all loose and clumpy , with some initially partially floating ,semi submerged.
Yes different Yeats behave differently, some leave floating clumps some are sludge at the bottom .

It just sounds like the krausen which is perfectly normal. How much Irish moss did you use? If you use too much you can get clumping of the krausen (sort of looks like cauliflower). I wouldn't worry though, it should drop out. I would suggest using towards the lower end of the recommended amount. A little goes a long way. As said above, personal preference regarding transfering trub. I'm not too worried anymore and transfer most from the boiler rather than worrying about separating.

I've only ever had that floating cauliflower stuff on the top post fermentation when I've used boil finings (with Irish moss), but they drop out after cold crashing

Last edited:
Ah that makes sense regarding the Krausen , would protofloc be better in v small batch brews rather than Irish moss ? Only used Irish moss one time no experience with protofloc.
Cauliflower lumps is pretty accurate

Come to think of it, it has been when I've used Irish moss rather than Protafloc.

I do gallon brews so it's easy to use too much, something like an 1/8 of a Protafloc is all that's needed.

I use protofloc. As you say 1/8 of a tab is about right (less than 0.5g on my hop scales). I'm sure Irish moss is also just as effective, but I haven't used in a long time and can't recommend quantities.

Buy a hopbag, or a small biab bag, and run the wort through it, next time. Squeeze if you want, I do this and works just fine.

For now, just wait a week, it will probably settle down.

Sounds like you're all good. I'm just coming back to this after a couple of years. I got a bit too scientific/ anal about it all and its actually a very simple/ natural process as long as hygiene and temperatures are good just be patient. There are a lot of people trying to sell "essential" things that really are not needed!

Latest posts

Back