My first attempt at Top Cropping yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is kind of a spur from another thread. I've had an APA in the FV for about 4 and a half days at 18C so quite cool for an ale. It's gone past the first "dirty" krausen and is at the tail end of the second krausen so I decided to see if I can do my first successful top crop. Gravity is just over hald way where I want it, so perfect from what I've read. The yeast is Safale US-05. It's a cheap yeast, but I'd like to see what the 2nd and 3rd generation pitches do for my beer as I've heard wonderful things.

I sanitised a ladle and a pyrex jug and literally just skimmed the top of the fermenter and dumped it in the jug, being sure to pick up some beer. Easy! :thumb:

Then I decanted the thin slurry into a small conical flask:

4 hours later, and this is what's happening:

Good job I put a plate underneath for good measure. I'd have been killed to death if my GF had come home to find a fridge full of yeast slurry!

But, this does prove to myself that the yeast I've harvested is in rampant condition, so should be good to pitch into my next batch (with a starter), in about a week's time :thumb:

Ahh US-05, the yeast that never gives up

Certainly looks like you got some very active yeast though :thumb:

Ceejay said:
But, this does prove to myself that the yeast I've harvested is in rampant condition, so should be good to pitch into my next batch (with a starter), in about a week's time :thumb:

You shouldn't need a starter if its only going to be a week or two, just put it in the fridge and then bring back up to temp on brewday :thumb:

Sure. It's still fermenting away, despite being in the fridge for 12 hours. US05 is a tough yeast!

killed to death eh ?

Is there any other way.... :grin:

Back