My first brewery... I've got cabinets now!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ehudady5.jpg

SHINY!!! (And big...)

I've got a little bottom....
First two brews it caused me problems ( my fault entirely ) as I'd not secured it to the run out tube. Fix 2 stainless steel jubilee clips.
next was a mod suggested by others on the firum...the false bottom sat directly on the mash tun floor, there was little space inside it for the filtered wort to collect before it ran down the pipe and out the tap. Fix.. put a length of split plastic pipe around the false bottom, remembering to tie it into the falsse bottom with some thin stainless steel wire otherwise it will unravel when hot water gets on it. ( I used copper wire from the inside of an earth cable.)
Every thing is ok now and I get good clear runnings when doing the mash and sparge.

piddledribble said:
I've got a little bottom....

TMI...

piddledribble said:
put a length of split plastic pipe around the false bottom, remembering to tie it into the falsse bottom with some thin stainless steel wire otherwise it will unravel when hot water gets on it. ( I used copper wire from the inside of an earth cable.)

That is a great idea! What sort of pipe did you use? Ooh actually I might have some silicone fuel hose kicking around...

ordinary fish tank soft plastic tubing ( about quarter inch ) don't forget to tie it in,

I originally used a length of Vossey's silicone tube, however the darned thing kept unwinding as soon as the hot water touched it. That was before I tied the tube to the bottom with wire. fish tank tube seemed to hold its place better but when/if I re-do I would use a larger dia. pipe

The FB's I've purchased from the H&G come with 3/8th beer line around the rim and it's tethered in place with steel wire. If you're making your own northerbrewer made a neat little line splitter with a Stanley blade and a few washers on one of his posts....it can be very difficult to split the line accurately using a hand held knife.

.it can be very difficult to split the line accurately using a hand held knife......

I know..... :oops: but I thought I could do better...he hee.... one jig made

Thanks PD!

Is this is one you use? If it is...

- that hosetail fitting, how close to the bottom of the pot does it scavenge?
- that hosetail fitting - does it look like it could be replaced with a more "permanent" system, hard plumbed to the bulkhead fitting/tap?

it " scavengers " to the bottom. Very little liquid left in the tun. The whole assembly unbolts from the bottom and the pipe so you can make up your own fitting, but there's no need As long as you fix it in place with some s/s clips so the pipe doesn't come loose during the mash.
I got mine complete with the tun from homebrew company but its the same one I think for its size its a hefty piece of steel.

that hosetail fitting - does it look like it could be replaced with a more "permanent" system, hard plumbed to the bulkhead fitting/tap?
I never liked the idea of hose in the mash/copper so replaced it as you say for hard plumbed like this
100_3038408x308.jpg

I just prefer the idea of my FB being held in place by a fixed tube.

The hose leaves it liable to moving in the boiler particularly as that's going to be gas fired. The steam bubbles will be forming under the FB and will no doubt displace it as they rise. With electric elements fitted above the FB that wouldn't really be an issue.

I can understand that J.P. thanks

Callum I use the F/B in the mash tun its not heated at all like the boiler, getting knocked about by stirring etc and the weight of the grains I can understand

A note re fixed tubed in boilers using Nordic/Catering/Marmite pots. The pots are very thin and you may notice when dry the base inverts slightly (try pushing down on it with a finger). If you fix your screen when dry, as most of us do, when filling you may here a 'dink' type noise as the base moves downwards under pressure. If you've fixed your screen there will be a small gap all round it's mating area which can vary in height from pot to pot. It's not really a problem as the hop should cover it on settling, but be aware of it and it's implications to the way YOU brew ;)

Latest posts

Back