My Gas Fired Brewery including HERMS and Heat Exchanger!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highwayman

Reaction score
Well it has taken a few months to do BUT I have finally finished it :thumb:
Going to Propane Gas from Electric was not through choice :whistle: SWMBO complained that I was using too much electricy in my previous brewery and she had this brainwave that if I went to Gas I would have to buy my own Gas Bottle and pay for it myself!! Yippee New SS Brewery coming :party:
I already had the 80 Litre Mashtun from my previous system so I bought two 70 Litre SS Stock Pots from Norik
I bought some heavy duty Gas Rings and again having taken advice from threads and Members on here I went for two of these:-
http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Round_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html
I got the HERMS Bug and following the Thread I bought an Asparagus SS Container on ebay for £9.50 and made a Vossy replica HERMS system.
I knew that I needed two pumps. One pump to take the liqour from the HLT to the Mashtun and the same pump to recirc the HERMS. Then the second pump to take the wort to the Kettle and the same pump to take the wort to the FV. So I bought 2 March May MMP's from here:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120468302305&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
Having a HERMS meant I needed PIDS and PT100's. I bought a PID and a PT100 from Auberines and one from Virtual Village. (No need to put the links everyone knows who they are). I then decided that the PIDs needed to go into a Control Box and that the pumps would need switches... So I called upon Vossy and AT for advice as they had previously made the same . I pestered them to death until I had finished the Control box. All bought at Maplins
The penultimate piece of kit that I bought was a Heat Exchanger. I got this on ebay and it came from Hawaii costing 80$ inc P & P. Its not the Rolls Royce of H/E but it will do for my little brewery :thumb:
Finally, I needed loads of silicone pipe and I bought a long length of Silicone from the Forum.

Here it is:-
IMG_0130.jpg

The stands supporting the SS Stock Pots were our old metal table and chairs which I cut up and welded. I then gave them a lick of silver paint to match the SS Trolley which I bought on ebay for £19.50 :thumb:
IMG_0128-2.jpg

This is the 80 Litre Thermo Masttun sitting on the SS Trolley with Control panel below. I cut a hole in the lid and fitted have a manifold. Inside the lid I have 15mm fitting which takes my adapted Fly Sparger
IMG_0121.jpg

Here is a picture of the HERMS along with Pump 1 mounted on the shelf of the SS Trolley and the Brass plated Heat Exchanger
IMG_0125-1.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

This is the Kettle. I also cut a hole in the lid and fitted a manifold. On the inside is a 15mm JG fitting to which I have attached a 3/8 SS pipe which runs down to bottom of the kettle. When I have cooled the wort I can remove the lid and put it on to my FV . My FV Cabinet is directly behind (see next photo)
IMG_0120.jpg

I can pump direct from the kettle and into the FV :thumb:

So that's it.

In conclusion I would like to thank all those who have given me help and advice..But A special thanks goes to Vossy and AT for all their help and support and allowing me to replicate their systems :thumb:

First Brew this Thursday Riggwelter Clone :cheers:

I shouldn't have read this first thing in the morning. Now I'll have to pop home at lunch and try and console my brewery and tell it that I still love it... and I'd never look at another one...

very nice steve, thats a set up and a half 10/10 :thumb: so looks like ill be bugging yourself vossy and AT when i can sneak some monies out of the wifes purse, :eek:

Good luck matey :cheers:

p.s. I only just noticed were from the same riding of yorkshire (i'm in exile darn sarf though).

p.s. I only just noticed were from the same riding of yorkshire (i'm in exile darn sarf though).
BM..If you are ever up here ..come over and see me :thumb:

Thanks Again for all your good wishes :oops: I shall post some picts on here tomorrow ;) I'm still not 100% with the PIDS though :wha:

highwayman said:
:oops: Thanks for the kind words Guys - It will be put to the test tomorrow :thumb: Keep that Mobile switched 'ON' Vossy :lol:
Remember to sanitise that mobile, don't want to spoil the brew if you drop it in a vessel during a moments panic :lol:
Good luck for today I hope it goes well :thumb:

Just an Update.....The PT100 on the HERMS failed this morning just as I was about to add the Goods!! :( Two hours later I managed to use the second PT100 (which was supposed to be used in the Mashtun) and fitted it into a 15mm plastic pipe and then into a JG 'T' fitting!

When I finally got set up I had some confusion with the setting of the PID and having lost so much time I decided to cancel Brewday until tomorrow!!!

On the plus side..I do now have a better understanding of PID's..Thanks to Vossy and A T :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back