My new malt miller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Goatreich said:
What does everyone store their grains in then? I have a 25kg sack of crushed Crisp MO, and several others that I want to store in the shed, but I'd need something animal, air and water resistant. I was thinking an animal feed bin, but they're not cheap and I know people on here like to do things as frugally as possible.

this is similar to what I bought - I got 5 for 25 quid - there are loads around som probably somebody selling them near you as carriage is expensive.

Have similar unit, Czech made. I reckon it as my best investment in the whole homebrewing thing.

Main benefit to me is less storage space required for grains. This way I can stock more, or buy if any opportunity for cheap malt arises. Storing crushed grains I'd be limited to no more than 40kg, now I can store twice as much. ;)

My mouse proof grain store is a small wheelie bin- fully pressure washed & bleached, handy to wheel out when brewing too :thumb:

Before anyone says anything I didn't nick it & it's not from my council, they have the name on. It was left at our house by the old boy that lived here before us, no idea where he acquired it from.

EDIT: I just bought the mill too - very happy at that price, thanks for the heads up :D

My Grain mill is yank - i got it here off an american couple moving back to the states, and its electronic too!! No need to stand and turn handles it can get theough about 5kg in 20 mins.
One tip i would suggest for those who have bought these as old jiver says keep the hopper full - i found if you cut the bottom off a rounded 5ltr water bottle and sit it in the hopper you can do loads at once. :thumb:

screamlead said:
My Grain mill is yank - i got it here off an american couple moving back to the states, and its electronic too!! No need to stand and turn handles it can get theough about 5kg in 20 mins.
One tip i would suggest for those who have bought these as old jiver says keep the hopper full - i found if you cut the bottom off a rounded 5ltr water bottle and sit it in the hopper you can do loads at once. :thumb:

You can get draught "EFES" and you make your own????

You do have to be inventive as there is not much space underneath the mill. Also if you get a bit enthusiastic with the handle you need something to stop the odd grain flying out sideways.

The Goatreich said:
What does everyone store their grains in then? I have a 25kg sack of crushed Crisp MO, and several others that I want to store in the shed, but I'd need something animal, air and water resistant.

The blue mango tubs work well, although I haven't stored brewing grains. I have however successfully stored pasta, rice and dried beans for up to a year beyond their best before date and they were still edible and tasty.
These tubs are stored outdoors, not in a shed or under cover but in a shaded area. Contents are dry and as good as the day they were bought. :thumb:

I plan to get a few more for when I brew AG... Yes! the darkside is calling! Just a shame my paypacket is this small.

ETA:
To extend BBE dates use mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, fill bag with grain, add absorbers, seal with flatiron over a broompole. Pop into tub.
Tubs from Here
Mylar bags from Here
Oxygen absorbers from Here

Also works well to extend life of herbs and spices, I plan to use the same to keep left over hops.

Latest posts

Back