Natural carbonation in cornelius Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honk

Landlord.
Reaction score
My large Co2 bottle ran out last week, luckily I still have a sodastream bottle and some smaller (8g?) Canisters I can use to dispense for a while but am not going to force carbonate till I can get a replacement large bottle.

Trying to make up my mind if next brew I revert back to bottling or try adding priming sugar to Cornelius keg. Will I be able to get a good seal without giving the keg an initial blast of C02? And will this generate a lot of additional yeast in the bottom of the keg? I'm not wanting to cut short my dip tube

I'm thinking that bottling is safer as no C02 required but I much prefer drinking Kegged beers.

It's not generally favoured to prime kegs on this forum, but I do it. Someone produced costings to show it to be marginal in terms of cost savings. I do however have gas, and blast seal the kegs with that before letting the sugar do its work. I dont have a major problem with sediment, and would ignore it anyway. I would never cut dip tubes fr a minimal amount of sediment. I would in your case ensure the lid was vaselined up and secure. Hope this helps

It's not generally favoured to prime kegs on this forum, but I do it. Someone produced costings to show it to be marginal in terms of cost savings. I do however have gas, and blast seal the kegs with that before letting the sugar do its work. I dont have a major problem with sediment, and would ignore it anyway. I would never cut dip tubes fr a minimal amount of sediment. I would in your case ensure the lid was vaselined up and secure. Hope this helps
Hi. Im
New to kegging. In bottles the longer the better well up to a point. Probably min four weeks. Do you do the same in a keg.

As long as you can use some of that gas to create the initial seal you should be OK. Will you then have enough gas to dispense?

Thanks for the replys on this which I totally missed when originally posted. I was able to get another co2 canister delivered so did not in the end need to naturally carbonate and am now back to force carbonating.

FWIW, I started out by priming the kegs with sugar. First keg turned out well but it was left to sit for two weeks. Second and third keg didn't turn out so well and I was forced to carbonate with gas. I now only force carb. Once I found a quick and easy way to do it, priming the keg seemed rather pointless.

Latest posts

Back