NEIPA additives

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll need your water hardness report as well for the calcium- different page from the one you've referenced but available on the same site. You'll need to know your water source which you will find at the top of the quality report you have.
However, for an NEIPA your ratio of chloride to suphate is the important reference about 3:1 or thereabouts. ie go high on the chloride - about 200ppm and low sulphate. Your calcium also needs a boost - absolute minimum 50, better to be 100. You have Scottish water with hardly any salts in it, which is fairly usual here, and it means you can near enough ignore what your water already has in it. If you only add one water addition for an NEIPA, go for calcium chloride, a good heaped teaspoon or two level ones for a 21 -23 litre batch will be in the right ball park.

That’s great Anna, many thanks.
It’s my first time adding something apart from Campden tablets and finings and haven’t got a clue what I was looking for.
I’m glad it’s going to be simple this time but I’ll have to look in to it closer and try to get my head around it.
Thanks again.

It might be worth emailing the water company. I did this a couple of years ago asking for all the data relevant to home brewers and they were really helpful. I’m fortunate now that my water company now produce a report for my area (Benfleet, Essex) which includes brewers information. I wonder if they got fed up with people like me asking 😬

IMG_1566.png

IMG_1567.png

Thanks Dr A. I finally found this table eventually. would a heaped teaspoon in my water be enough?
After reading @strange-steve’s water treatment post, would I split it between strike water and sparge water?
Sorry for all the questions.

Here's an interesting extract on water from brewers notes that accompanied the Malt Miller Verdant Even Sharks Need Water clone kit, which is by far the most successful NEIPA I've done.

With sharks we push Chloride up to around 230ppm, we leave Sulphate at base mains level (10ppm), we elevate Sodium to around 50ppm.The Sodium Chloride is added to the boil and the Calcium Chloride to the mash. By doing this we create a very soft mouthfeel but without elevating Calcium levels above 100ppm. You don’t need to try and emulate this profile though, in fact I would suggest not too if your base line is too far off initially. It’s far more important to work with what you’ve got and tweak from there.

Latest posts

Back