Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Next up on my list to brew is a Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale. This will be another partial mash. I hit about 60% efficiency on the first attempt, so I've based it on this, although there's a few things I will try to improve it. Any recommendations on the crystal grains are welcome, as I'm still not really sure what is what and their effects on the final beer.

1.5kg Maris Otter
1.0kg Light DME
0.5kg Caramalt
0.125kg Crystal Medium

10g NS 45min
20g NS 20min
20g NS 5min
40g NS 0min
60g NS 7 day dry hop

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

20Ltr
OG 1037
IBU 37
SRM 7

I am looking for something that has a bit of maltyness to balance the hops, rather than just some hop juice (as I am currently fermenting some!).

That's an interesting balance of hops and grains, OG and IBUs. Brew it, and let us know how it goes. 7.5g hops per litre is a lot, it'll be pretty intense, and the the crystal and caramalt will provide richness.

You think it's worth doing then? I did think about 250g Crystal, would that be over the top.

I wanted something sessionable, instead of another high strength IPA.

With regards to recipes, I don't really know what I'm doing, I just enjoy coming up with new ideas. If they turn out ****, I won't do them again, if they're good, I can take the credit!

Caramalt is a form of crystal. I wouldn't add any more. That recipe will make a very hoppy beer with quite a lot of malty sweetness. Low abv but not a beer to knock back quickly.

Ok, i'll stick with the recipe above, might increase the IBU a bit with a 60min boil instead of 45. Haven't done the workings yet, so not sure how much that will add.

The OG was really set as a min benchmark to see if I could improve my efficency from last time by giving the grain a stir during the mash and your suggestion Clibit of a dunk sparge in a separate pot. Not really bothered if it is still 60%, but didn't want to start with a higher OG, then possibly increase the efficiency and end up with a 5% beer, if that makes sense.

If I find it too hop heavy, then I can tone it down in future, but I do enjoy really hoppy beers, so should be ok.

I wouldn't increase the ibu s I don't think, leave it as it is. But it's one of those choices, whatever you feel like doing.

Back