NEW- 1/2" Stainless Steel Bulk Heads For Sale (out of stock)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Vossy. I’m considering buying a couple of these as part of my 50 litre SS pot conversions for HLT and Boiler. I know there are cheaper options available but, they look quality, will last forever, can be used for other purposes I guess if I ever upgrade, etc, etc…... Plus, they’re very, very shiny :cool:

I’m also looking at ball valve options and, for the same reasons as above, the 3 part valves that you have used in your 100 litre ‘How To’ are calling to me. This combo of bulkhead and valve really does push up the cost of the build ( in effect, the SS pots are the cheap bits ) but I think it’s the way I’m going to go; in a way it future proofs my investment irrespective of which way I go in the future.

So, looks like I’ve talked myself into it but I do have one concern. My pots have not yet arrived but I believe the walls are quite thin; hence their reasonable price. After fitting the SSBH to the pot there will be a substantial amount of ‘thread’ sticking out to which the 3 piece BV is added.

How far will the SSBH screw into the BV ? Obviously, I haven’t got the parts in front of me but if the BV doesn’t eat up a great deal of the thread it looks like I may have quite a bit of weight, and leverage, stuck out front supported by pretty flimsy walls. I’d like the BV to end up fairly flush to the outside pot wall but I don't want to start sawing the end off £25 worth of lovely Stainless Steel :shock:

Can the SSBH be used directly on Bergland SS pots with the washers provided or will it be necessary to beef up the arrangement in some way to support, what looks to be, quite a heavy BV unit ?

These look like a really good ‘click n play’ quality solution to fitting the ball valves but if I have to start adding additional items or, God forbid, get the saw out then I may need to rethink this.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Andy,

Great questions on your post above :cool: I think it's all to easy to judge the price of the SSBH against the cost of these Chinese pots and folk (not meaning you) have to have a reality check every now and then. The stainless pots from Bergland are unbelievably cheap because they are from China....if you want to compare a 'quality' pot have a look at the Blichman ones which start from £334, and that kind of puts the cost of a 'quality' SSBH into perspective, they're not the cheapest...but if you want the best :whistle:
How far will the SSBH screw into the BV ? Obviously, I haven’t got the parts in front of me but if the BV doesn’t eat up a great deal of the thread it looks like I may have quite a bit of weight, and leverage, stuck out front supported by pretty flimsy walls. I’d like the BV to end up fairly flush to the outside pot wall but I don't want to start sawing the end off £25 worth of lovely Stainless Steel :shock:Can the SSBH be used directly on Bergland SS pots with the washers provided or will it be necessary to beef up the arrangement in some way to support, what looks to be, quite a heavy BV unit ?
We've had to have the SSBH fittings made one size (due to cost) which gives the flexibility for them to be fitted to a multitude of pot wall thicknesses most commonly encountered in home brewing. Here are 2 pictures of the ball valve attached from both ends of the SSBH
CIMG6545250x188.jpg
CIMG6546250x188.jpg

Personally, I'd go for the second pic which gives about 5mm of thread showing. I'd also be tempted not to saw them as you may wish to change pots in the future. Don't worry about movement from the combo, the reason for the flange on the fitting is to give a greater surface area of attachment meaning waggling of the ball valve/pot wall combo is greatly reduced :cool: :cool: You will never be able to get rid of all movement due to the thin nature of the Bergland pots and I would not recommend using a push fit copper manifold as it can come apart with repeated movement.

and if you're not happy with them, provided they're in the same nick as when you got them, then just send em back :thumb:

Thanks for the quick reply Vossy.

I understand your comments completely; I like a bit of cooking and a decent, heavy bottomed pan can cost a small fortune but...... in my opinion, it's worth it.

Can I take it then that you don 't forsee any issues with using the SSBH with the heavier 3 part Ball Valves ( BES part number 10397 ) with the Bergland pots ?

Cheers

ps - I'm not going anywhere near the Blichman site; I've got shiny fever bad enough already :D

Can I take it then that you don 't forsee any issues with using the SSBH with the heavier 3 part Ball Valves ( BES part number 10397 ) with the Bergland pots ?
None at all, I have one fitted to a 50ltr Bergland and it's fine....reminds me I must change my 100ltr pots over to SSBH :hmm:
ps - I'm not going anywhere near the Blichman site; I've got shiny fever bad enough already :D
:P :lol:

Cheers Vossy.

Thanks for the confirmation and I'll take two of your fine SSBHs and be sure to post pics of the installation.

I'll send you a PM.

Hi Vossy,

SSBH perfect. The internal ‘tube’ is as smooth as silk. :thumb:

I’ve no idea how you’d go about making one of these but there’s a fair chunk of shiny involved to kick off with. All looks exceptionally well machined. Great partner for a quality ball valve. Will last far longer than I will !

Can’t wait to get my holes drilled in the pots then all systems go !

8250051511_035b34ecf5_h.jpg

2 SSBH arrived safely, very nice. Will have to Drill pots now to getvthen fitted. Thanks Vossy

Vossy, have you got any left? I could do with two if still have them.

I'm going to get a stock pot and do the conversion you've posted (which is brilliant by the way). Could also tell me where to get the kettle elements please. I don't want to get fleabay specials because if they go tech I might end up with a dodgy sized hole in the boiler I can't fill. The other question is, did you post a wiring diagram up for the elements?
Thanks
KG

Vossy, have you got any left? I could do with two if still have them.
Yup, just pm me when you're ready ;)
Could also tell me where to get the kettle elements please. I don't want to get fleabay specials because if they go tech I might end up with a dodgy sized hole in the boiler I can't fill. The other question is, did you post a wiring diagram up for the elements?
The elements are from Backer so no wiring diagram as I bought the leads for them from Backer too :thumb:

Sent the Pm (I think!) If it didn't arrive let me know and I'll use IT skill set number two :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back