New alteration to my HERMS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highwayman

Reaction score
Since I started using HERMS in my brewery I have been having problems with my March May MMP Pumps failing :cry:
After carrying out tests I found the problem was due to the fact that after I finished the mash, I turned off the pump to change the silicone pipe from the Mash Tun to the HLT to Sparge liquor into the Mash Tun! When I turned the pump back on..it would not work due to the stickiness of the wort :hmm:

To overcome this I fitted a ‘T’ section on the silicone pipes from the Mash Tun and the HLT. I also fitted a single ball valve on the section coming from the Mash Tun. So at the end of the mash, I run off the wort and at the same time I open the HLT and the liquor mixes with the wort thinning it out. I allow sparge liquor to run into the pump for fly sparging and then I close the ball valve from the Mash Tun which cured the problem :thumb:

However, I still had a problem….When I close the ball valve on the Mash Tun to connect the silicone pipe to Pump 2… As soon as I opened the MashTun to pump out the wort into the boiler, I found that grains were sucked through into Pump 2 and the pump became clogged with grain!!

So ..here is my solution
I have bought myself a 3 Way Stainless Steel Ball Valve with Left port from here!
http://www.valves-online.co.uk/acatalog/three_way_ball_valve.html
I have fitted cam locks on both ends that connect to silicone pipes and a different type of cam lock that fits into the camlock on the Mash Tun!!
IMG_0433.jpg

I have removed the single Valve from the Mash Tun to the ‘T’ section (as its no longer necessary).

The new process is… I leave the ball valve open on the Mash Tun ALL the time..The wort runs through the HERMS for 90 mins..at the end of the mash I keep the wort running to mix with the Sparge Liquor and then I turn the L port on the ball valve to the left and the clear wort runs down into pump 2… I adjust the ball valves on both the Boiler and Mash Tun for Fly Sparging :thumb:

Here’s some picts of new valve in action!
HERMS Normal Recirc
IMG_0472.jpg

This is the first run off and last the wort going into pump at sparging time. You can see the clear wort going into pump 2 and into the boiler :D
IMG_0474.jpg

So that's it :D

You're right UP..It was expensive..but it saves buggering up the Pumps :lol: I'm very pleased BB /ericst ;)

The next thing I need to do is fit an on-line filter into the silicone tube from the Mash Tun to Pump 1 ..as I'm getting grain into the pump when I recirc using my HERMS .. its also collecting in the elbow nearto where I have located the Pt100 2" probe and slowing the recirc process and sparging down :(

I have this 5" Filter..
IMG_0273.jpg

I am thinking about trying it to see if it will cure the problem...I will experiment with it in my Forum Christmas brew in a couple of weeks time :hmm:

Latest posts

Back