New at recipe making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ally_sives

Reaction score
Hiya! Thought I would give making my own recipe for a small brew. I have never even attempted one before so not even sure about what some might even mean (water profile etc) but I gave it a bash. Anyone think it looks close to an actual recipe that makes sense?? Also I'm only making a load of smaller gallon batch brews to experiment. Cheers!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/267095/1-gallon-american-ipa

Just invade the link above doesn't work as I suspect I have 2 pictures.

image.jpg

Your IBUs are extremely high. You need to reduce the 60 min hops, and/or remove the 50 min hops. How bitter do you want it though?

Yeah that's what I thought. I like it a little bitter. Think almost around punk IPA bitter.

Punk has 45 IBUs. Which is a good level of bitterness. Your malts are great, the hops are great, just cut the early hop additions so you're around 45.

The way I began creating my own recipes was to look at commercial kits with recipe sheets as well as recipe databases on forums. That would give me several recipes of the style I was interested in. I'd create a recipe and then post it for advice.

Latest posts

Back